Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help Spalted wood!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by tjclem, Dec 4, 2004.

1. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    I am working with spalted bookmatched front and back on my newest project. They are a bit rough surfaced at the moment. I am guessing I can't run these through the planer? I will have to use a thickness sander to smooth them? I am also guessing I will have to use a product like minwax wood hardner on it? Any tips for working with Spalted would be great. Thanks .....t

2. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    It depends on how punky the wood is whether or not it will survive the planer. If there are any sections that can be dented easily with your thumbnail, then you may not want to run it through the planer. The sander may even have its way with really really punky stuff.

I've never used the MinWax but it is not a bad idea. Lots of epoxy manufacturers sell penetrating products for salvaging rotted wood. Any of these is a good idea.

One last note: ALWAYS WEAR A MASK AND USE DUST COLLECTION WHEN WORKING WITH SPALTED WOOD!! Spalt is very bad to breathe in.

3. Tim Barber

Tim Barber Commercial User

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    Owner: Barber Music
    CPES works quite well on spalt, in my experience. Definitely use it in a ventilated area, though.

4. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    interesting stuff. Is it availiable at any normal stores or do I have to order it from them? No mention of price either?...........t

5. Tim Barber

Tim Barber Commercial User

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    Owner: Barber Music
    Look at the bottom of the page for the "Ordering Options" link. Pricing is on the order form; a two-pint kit is about $35. AFAIK you have to order it online but there are several places that carry it if you do a Google search.

I've tried the Minwax hardener but it doesn't seem to sand well once it's cured; it seems to stay a little gummy or something and really loads sandpaper down fast. The CPES takes several days for a full cure but once it's done it's pretty hard.