1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help! Speaker replacement question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by denton57, Nov 29, 2006.

1. denton57

denton57 Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2005
    Arkansas
    I know this is a tough question, but I want to replace the 2 15's that I have in my Sunn with some better / more efficient speakers. I also want to switch the cab from 8 ohms to 4 ohms at the same time. Here's the specs of my cab that I pulled off a website:

Sensitivity: 96 1 watt/1 meter

Enclosure volume: Vb 7.3 ft3 (2.66 m3)

Dimensions

height: 41"

Width: 25.5"

Depth: 17"

The front port measures 3.25 X 22.75 (inches)

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I know that since it is a ported cab there will be more of a problem finding the right speaker. Anyone?

What if I just sealed off the port? Would that make it alot easier to match speakers to the cabinet??

2. Rune Bivrin

Rune Bivrin Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Huddinge, Sweden
    Just a quick correction: 7.3ft³ translates to 0.207m³, or 207 litres.

3. Assuming the volume is correct, this gives us 3.65 cubic feet per driver.

The problem you will encounter, especially with 15" drivers, is the lack of upper end.

Using Eminence drivers, the Legend CB15, Kappa 15, Kappa Pro 15, are all right in the required volume.
    These all have an F3 in the 60 Hz range, and are pretty efficient. All of these are 8 ohm drivers, and will give you a 4 ohm total load.

4. denton57

denton57 Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2005
    Arkansas
    Hey, thanks man. What about the port? Will I need to adjust it's size with those speakers? The volume specs came off the Fender website, so I assume it is the correct volume. Thanks again!

5. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Maybe, search for WinISD, download it and start messing with it. If you can get specs on your original speakers, load them in as a reference. Also search TB for speaker/cabinet building. Have Fun.:)