1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

HELP Spector Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by growler571, Mar 13, 2009.

1. growler571

growler571

Sep 19, 2007
    Hellow I have a question about my spector euro lx35. Whenever I play my spector through my old jenson heaphones the spector sounds awesome with a full spectrum of tone. Think rachael Bolan of SkidRow or Queensryche type bass tones. But whenever i play it through my gallien krueger 700RB 115 combo it does'nt sound the same no matter how I Eq it. It just seems to sound realy bassy and loses alot of that tight crisp punchy modern spector bass tone. What is the problem, is it because I am using a 15inch woofer with a tweeter in my Gallien Krueger? Do I need to get some 210 enclosure to go along with the 15 to reproduce the tight punchy trebly sound I am getting from my headphones? Please give me your thoughts and opinions on this issue. I also noticed the sound of the spector has seemed to change quite a bit since I put on a set of Dadarrio XL medium nickel strings. Please help.

2. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    That 15" driver is going to muddy the sound a bit along with the nickel strings. Tens will be punchy and will really bring out the Spector growl. In the meantime, you may want to change to stainless strings. Spector strings are really bright so you may want to go that route.

3. Bigduke

Bigduke

Dec 10, 2006
    Try cranking the volume knobs on your guitar back a little.

4. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    How do you have the EQ set at the amp? How are you using the Tonepump on the bass?

I would start here if I were you: Set the EQ on the amp flat, with maybe a smidge of boost in the high mids for a grindy fingerstyle tone. On the bass, try using as little of the Tonepump's boost as possible while still have a full sound both down low and in the highs. Don't overboost because the Tonepump is pretty powerful and its really easy to overdo it. Keep in mind that the settings on the Tonepump that sound so good in the headphones may be exactly why your are getting too bassy of a tone through much larger and more powerful speakers.

5. growler571

growler571

Sep 19, 2007
    Thanks guys. I have the EQ on my gallien krueger set at 12 noon except for the mids which are set at about 10 o,clock. I also think maybe the .105 E string is to heavey to get that nice funky slap tone. I had much better tone with the spetor strings that came on it from the factory. I was told they were nickel spector strings. It seems like those spector strings are just made for getting the best tone out of spector basse(HA Go Figure). Ive noticed ernie balls also sound best on my stingray. I love getting that rachael bolan (Skidrow) tone out of my spector or that billy gould (Faith No More) tone. But it just seems my gallien krueger is too deep and bassy. I will be adding a 210 cab soon shich also boosts the power to 480 watts up from 320.

6. DGbass70

DGbass70

Jun 1, 2005
    Rochester N.Y.
    Funny.........the reason i play Spectors is because of Rachel Bolan.
    First time i saw one he was the one playing it,then i saw Eddie Jackson using them too.
    Anyways i agree with DoubleAgent,also i would add that i found a very nice sound when i put nickel strings (Ken Smith) on my Euro5.

7. Captain_Arrrg

Captain_Arrrg

Jan 23, 2008
    Mountains of Colorado
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    My nickle strung Spectors sound great through my 15... Are you playing with the same dynamics once you're amplified? Some people tend to play more aggressively when no one can hear them.

The "Spector tone" is easier to coax out of my US than my Legend, but it's still there, it just requires the correct right hand technique.

PS. The "Spector tone" is dependent on midrange, cutting it too much may be your problem. Go with Double agent's suggestion and try re-EQing you amp and starting the Tone Pump from zero. If you "pump" the lows and highs too much, they overshadow the mids.

8. dean owens

dean owens

Sep 23, 2008
    pittsboro, nc
    ditto that. rachel and that white spector in youth gone wild. when i saw that video... saw that bass and heard that little line before sebastian starts the verse i knew four things.
    - i wanted to play bass
    - i wanted a spector (only took 19 years :D )
    - i wanted to learn that little lick
    - i wanted to be better than rachel bolan. and for me at the time... that was quite a big deal.
    for crying out loud, i wanted to get my ear and nose pierced so i could have a chain hanging from my nose to my ear like rachel.

wonder if there's enough of us to start a rachel bolan fan club? :bag: hey, it's there a some sort of duff club on here? :eyebrow:

i can't really remember the second spector i saw. i know i noticed them a lot more after that video - the video that changed my life. :hyper:

9. pbass6811

pbass6811 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    I'm thinkin' more of Mike Inez(and Mike Starr-the recording bassist) from his Alice In Chains days! His NS-2 tone on "Would" & "Man In The Box" is MASSIVE

10. DGbass70

DGbass70

Jun 1, 2005
    Rochester N.Y.
    I saw them live before i saw the video..and he had the sparkly white one and a sparkly gold one.I was a fan for some time......can you tell....vvvvvvv
    100_0800.
    I still have it but it has not seen action in about 4 years.
    It was my first Spector and i got it in 1991,2 years after i saw Rachel using them.

11. What it sounds like to me is that your getting too much bass from your bass, lol. Try setting everything on the Tonepump to 0 then easing up the bridge pup volume then the neck pup and find a good balance between the two. Try putting the mids on your amp at around 2 o'clock, bass @ 10, and treble at 3. If all else try some lighter gauge strings. I'm not sure what gauge I'm using atm, but i know that they're Ken Smith's ans they sound amazing.

12. dean owens

dean owens

Sep 23, 2008
    pittsboro, nc
    very nice bass. it's sad that such a nice bass is being treated so poorly. if you ever want to get it dusted off and used i'd be more than happy to help you out with that.

love the white so much, i've had occasional thoughts wondering how much it would cost to have my alder rebop painted white. don't think i'd ever do it... but i've thought it.

13. The 1st Generation ReBops (all Alder body w/ no Maple top, Dot Inlays opposed to the Spector Crown Inlays) came in white as one of their standard colors, so it would probably be much cheaper to search eBay, Craigslist, and the FS forums here for one than to have one refinished.

14. Joe Murray

Joe Murray

May 14, 2008
    Fairfax, VA
    I actually believe the issue IS that 15". JMO, but to really get that Spector sound you need the 10's.
    I want in to the Rachel Bolan Fan Club...whats my #?? :)

15. dean owens

dean owens

Sep 23, 2008
    pittsboro, nc
    yeah, i've actually seen a few of those. i wish they had the do nothing for your tone crown inlays. those really dress up a bass. but since they don't i'll keep my do nothing inlays rather than trading them in for a do nothing for my tone paint job. (i have an all alder rebop - crown inlays with a natural finish.)

i wouldn't serious think about sending my bass off to be painted. but if i had a friend who would do it for the cost of materials i would jump on it. otherwise, there's too many people that can use my money for much more noble purposes. thanks for pointing it out for me though.

16. dean owens

dean owens

Sep 23, 2008
    pittsboro, nc
    you asked for it. here ya go. :bag: