1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help: Standards for String Tree Installation On J Neck?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Saint, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    I'm looking to install string trees on the necks of two of my builds. Both have J-replacement necks: one is a Moses Graphite and the other is Warmoth.
    My question is if there are any standard measurements to use for determining where between the D and G strings to place a round/fender-style retainer. For example, should the hole be drilled .5, 1, 1.5 or 2 inches from the nut? Should I measure for placement with the strings on the bass or is there some set formula to use?

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. hdfixer

hdfixer Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2008
    Morgan Hill CA
    I built a Jazz style bass recently from a Warmoth body & a Moses neck, and after popping the g string off the nut a few times, decided I needed a string tree. I went with a black Hipshot 3 string retainer. I put it over top three strings at normal tuning and when I found a spot that gave good tension to all (roughly the middle spot on the A string between nut and post) I just marked it, drilled and screwed it in place (I did loosen the strings for the install part). Works great and very stealthy too!

Saint likes this.
  3. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    Bump

4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

Did you already drill the tuners? If not, get some Hipshot Ultralites with the short bolts, like Dingwall uses, and forgo the string tree altogether. This is what I did on my Jazz build last year.

5. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    Thanks, but -for better or worse- the tuners are already in.

6. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 30, 2020