1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

HELP! Stop me before I buy another bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hoover, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    Aw, man, I knew I shouldn't have gone into the damn music store...

So I get this postcard in the mail from SamAsh: One Day Sale, 20% Off Any Item (New Or Used). I figure I need to go up to 48th Street to buy new fuses for my guitarist's amp anyway, might as well see what they have. Who knows, maybe I'll find a stompbox...hmm, E-H POG for 20% off, that'd be $160? Nah, I'm just gonna window shop...

blah blah blah, I'm wandering thru the aisles, that's crap, that's crap, that's crap...great, guess I'm not gonna be tempted to do something stupid like blow some cash just beca----

Oh. She. It.

Just as I'm passing thru the final aisle I see it: A used Modulus Genesis 5-string. Bartolini JJ, black paintjob, very good condition. $1499. With my 20% off card, that's $1200.

Sale is on until 9:00PM tonight. It's 3:45 now.

I so do not need another bass! Although...if I did "need" another bass it would definitely be a nice fretted 5-string. And I've often told myself that when it came down to it, it'd either be a Sadowsky or a Genesis. And there's this Genesis staring me in the face. $1200.

Somebody stop me, please!

2. D Rokk

D Rokk Banned

Feb 19, 2009
    Delta Quadrant
    no i will not..

3. dgovaerts

dgovaerts

Dec 22, 2004
    sell some of your gitarist-friend's gear ;)

4. GsmithMusic

GsmithMusic

Jul 31, 2005
    Buy it dude... it's just money. And that's a sick deal.

5. UnderTone

UnderTone

Mar 22, 2009
    Tucson, Arizona
    get it.

6. elpezpr

elpezpr

Feb 7, 2008
    PR
    The worst part will be when you go there tonight and someone else from TB has already bought it. :p

7. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    Buy it and flip it if you really end up not needing it :)

8. I second the above statement. If you have the cash, do it! :hyper:

9. loend68

loend68 Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2008
    NH
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses, T.C. Electronics
    You came to the wrong place to stop GAS my friend.....

10. Mike151

Mike151

Dec 22, 2008
    Sherman Texas
    Get you some Nyquil and take a couple pugs. Put in a movie and relax. When you wake up, the sale will be over.

11. ...maybe spend more time playing than shopping...

12. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    Dad? What are you doing here?

13. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    Help? With GAS? Here? If by help you mean someone drive you down there, then maybe....

And, you now announced that bass to the world. Good luck with it still being there if you go back for it.

14. Mike151

Mike151

Dec 22, 2008
    Sherman Texas
    Looks like I've been outnumbered. Sorry bro. Post a pic of it as soon as it has it's new home with you! :bassist:

15. yep... it's sold! better hurry!!!

16. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Trade in a piece of gear for it. I find that if I'm trading gear for new gear, I don't get as much flack or feel bad for having an incredibly large number of instruments.

If you've got the money and it's a bass you've been wanting for a while....get it. Worst thing that happens is you end up not liking it and sell it for the $1200 you bought it for.

17. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Do This:

Imagine what you would do if you lost your job TODAY.

Think long and hard about it.

See how easy that was?

18. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Don't do it! I bought a Q5 that was going to be my dream bass, last bass purchase, etc. Well, I sold it 2 months later as it did nothing but cause hand and other pain - along with sitting on my credit card. It is sold pending payment.

The bass that I have had through thick and thin is still here and sounds, plays and looks as good as any that have been a part of the merry-go-round of basses I have had for a few years.

If you don't NEED it, don't buy it. Looks like you have plenty of basses that would cover most gigs.

19. holllowbody

holllowbody

Mar 25, 2009
    You picked a heck of a place to ask for reasons NOT to buy it.