Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help stop this clipping.... mobilepre+mac

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Christian Waiau, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    las vegas/maui, nevada/hawaii
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar, Darkglass
    i recently got a mobilepre and garageband..

when i plug in to rec. it clips pretty bad. i have to turn my vol and gain down very low just so it wont clip. possibly the output is too hot from the bass?

my set up is...
    Modulus Flea4 Lane Poor HB Aguilar OBP-3 9v.
    MobilePre USB
    Ibook g4 933mhz 1.12GB RAM

I've read in other threads about gettings some sort of a compressor or limiter but im lost as to which one to get or even if thats what i need..Aphex Punch Factory Optical Compressor?

i play pretty agressive(solo stuff including some slap.. and currently in a punk/speed metal band).

something with little/no tone loss that will help my recordings..

2. first of all are you just going line out right from your amp or straight into the usb pre from your bass?

3. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    You can deal with this by turning down the input trim on the channel until you don't have any clipping. This isn't the same thing as adjusting the fader in your DAW. If that doesn't work, turn the bass down. Also make sure that you are using the correct level setting on the input. If the channel level meter is going into the red, or clipping, you are hitting it with too much signal.

If you get "overs" while recording you are stuck with them. So bring the input trim down to the point where that doesn't happen. You now have a useful raw track that you can do all sorts of post-processing on. Remember that even if you use plugins you should still have just the raw track until you actually bounce/print the effects.

Yes, you could use a compressor between the bass and the input to your interface. It can be a great thing, but i'd start by using the method above and learning to get a good sound using compression plugins. That is a great way to learn about compression without spending money on new gear, and you will make a better decision on compression devices later on.

4. Christian Waiau

Jun 16, 2005
    straight in
    bass>-mobilepre>computer

5. Christian Waiau

Jun 16, 2005

ive tried messing with the compression plugins but the tone gets lost somewhere and it starts to sound bad... i have gotten it to where i can get a decent volume.. the tone is very thin..

i have a Behringer BDI21 that i picked up a while back but even with the DI the output to the mobilepre seems too much.. i was thinking about getting a small mixer then going...

bass > DI > mixer > mobilepre > computer
    or
    bass > compressor > mobilepre > computer

i would mic my cab... but with my living situation i'd pick up too much random noises.. heh

6. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    Since the MobilePre has both mic and instrument inputs I can't figure out why you would be having this problem. Plug in to the instrument input and use the channel gain knob on the front to set the level. Play the bass and increase the channel gain until it shows the clip light flickering on the loudest playing, like a slap or pop. Then roll the gain off a little. If you see the clip light come on later, turn the gain down a little more. That should be it.

Sure, the output of the Flea could be on the hot side, but it shouldn't be worse than running a Les Paul into it. Going with outboard gear like a DI or mixer kinda misses the point of having a device like the MobilePre, which is a 2 channel mic pre, DI, and Mixer with USB connectivity.

After you record, look at the waveform in your DAW program. You should not see it flat-topping. It is best if the peaks stop short of the 0db edges of the waveform view.

Good Luck.

7. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    is the pre clipping or is it in software?

or did i miss that in the thread some place?

8. Christian Waiau

Jun 16, 2005
    the pre

9. Christian Waiau

Jun 16, 2005
    I've got it to stop clipping.. its just that i have to roll the gain off so much it kills my tone with the volume being so low.

i've tried running my bass in to my practice amp.. out of the amp's headphone jack and to the mobilepre with a little better.

i've never used a hardware compressor and the GarageBand compressor isnt very good at all... so i was just wondering if a better compressor would help..

I'm starting to think the mobilepre is just a piece of crap and i should find something else... the sound i get from my headphone jack on my practice amp sounds much better then when i hear it coming out of the practice amp andin to the mobilepre..