Help! Strange Feedback...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Aussiephoenix, Jun 6, 2005.

1. Hi guys.

I finally got a chance to try out my Oakland Fretless in a band setting at high volume, and I was blown away by it.
    Sounded great! lots of Grind.

Now, to the problem:

some of you might have seen photos of this baby's innards, its quite special, including some really strange control options, like the use of a 6way rotary switch that connects several different combinations of condensers and a strange little transformer on top of one of the pots. This thing is completely passive, but allows for a lot of diferent sounds.

the problem though is that it works fine by itself and with the usual effects like chorus, etc, but whenever I throw Fuzz/Overdrive and I'm not playing, there's this really high pitched anoying feedback...

now, this only happens if I'm NOT playing. if I am, the overdrive / Fuzz comes through normally, no feedback...

A friend of mine has said that it might be the pups. anyone know if he's right? should I get better pups on it? I dont even know what these are. another friend said that they are Schaller pickups, but I have no way of knowing that for sure.

edit: forgot to mention, this bass also has some kind of series/parallel switch, that provides a lot of boost with it, could also be that...
  2. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

interesting how much that bass looks so much like the old Martin E series. I like it better myself. Sort of an E-SG look.

Anyway, those pups look like Schaller or Dimarzios with the allen screw poles. Not hard to determine. Look in the control bay and if the pup leads are green/white/brown/yellow it's a Schaller; black/red/green/white Dimarzio.

Never heard anybody express series/parallel as boost before but in series the output is increased 4 four fold due to increased resistance.

Usually it's the fancy active stuff that speaks in tongues but what is IS. Upscale electronics in Big venues is not my thing and a world of it's but it seems to me an effective bandaide (get it BAND aide :- ) may be something along the lines of a simple volume stomp box. At any rate, I don't think this is a pup issue and changing the pup is going to change tone which is not a good thing to do if you like the bass. I assume whoever had the smarts to launch the electroncs chose the pups for a reason. Also, that individual would be the obvious contact for inquiry regarding the issue at hand.

Dharmabass and some of the member engineers may have more of a clue. Also, there are some pretty sharp guys that frequent the amp and FX forums when it comes to electronics.
  3. kool! thanks for the info on the pup wires, ill have a look.

well, im not sure exactly what it is, but that miniswitch does have a huge sound boost when on.
    so, im guessing it is that series/paralel mod.

No, I absolutely love the tone of this bass, wouldnt want to change that.
    The guy I bought this from hardly speaks a word of english, and straight after the sale he stopped replying to my emails, I guess that thats from selling me a bass that was defretted and re-fretted by himself in the WORST fashion imaginable, and "forgetting" to mention that during the sale.

So, i dont think that Ill get any info from him on that... besides... the mods in this bass are pretty advanced... bassaussie's posted photos of its innards on the forum before, and nobody had ever seen passive electronics like that...
    I dont think he made those... maybe they were made as a standard by this "Oakland" company that I cant find any info about.
  4. [​IMG]

hmmm... just got thicker... Black, REd, white -> Check... no green... orange instead.
  5. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

actually, doesn't look too bad. Sort of making the most with the least. The "maker" of the bass was the reference to the probable best contact. The seller's practice is grounds for castration/deportation, and definetly legal recourse. You're lucky the clown didn't jack with the electronics and/or drop in EMG's.

Oakland sounds familiar - but then I grew up in California (after our invasion and before the Asian). Looks like a custom bass to me - except those numbers on the control knobs are pretty lame (and I'd wager not original - unless the tuners are numbered too :- ) Pretty simplistic but looks well planned out and crafted and whoever did those electronics knew what was up.

Can't say I remember orange for a pup lead. But I wouldn't be suprised if the guy who wired that harness didn't make the pup.

Personally, I'd go with a bandaide in the short term and keep turning over stones till something of use came to pass.
  6. OK, the problem was that I was playing tooclose to the amp, with the gain up too high...

DOH! :D