help string action

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by floydbass, Aug 19, 2003.

1. i just put some roundwound earnie ball regular slinkies on my washburn bass they are a heavier gauge that the strings it came with , i think, they are a 105 e string, and now the action is ridicuiously higher especially near the 20th fret, what do i do???
  2. cmon 6 views and no help?? please???
  3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

You can try lowering the saddles on the bridge, but if you get string buzz then you might need to adjust the truss rod as well.
  4. how do you lower the saddles
  5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

There will be little holes on the side of each bridge saddle - you need to insert the right size of allen key - I use a "roadie wrench" or "guitool" - which has all the sizes on one handy tool.

Turning one way raises the saddles, turning the other lowers them - easy!
  6. drd07

Jan 19, 2003
    Every time you put a different set of strings on your bass, you need to do a setup - measure relief to see if you need to adjust the truss rod, measure string height and adjust the saddles, raise/lower pickups, and then finally intonate. There are a lot of resources here at TB that help you do these things. Check around in the setup section.

The reason you have to do the setup is that different strings have different tensions. Even if you had, say fender pure nickels guage 45-105, and put a new set of Dean Marley 45-105 guage, you still have to do a setup. In your case probably, the strings you put on have more tension the ones that were previously on your bass.

To lower the saddles, you may need an allen wrench or a screwdriver. Do you have a 3 point bridge, or a fender style bridge?
  7. it has a metal plate and then on top of that ithas what looks like little springsgoing from where you put in the strings into the saddles

and will sam ash help me with this, i bought it from there and i have a warrrante
  8. drd07

Jan 19, 2003
    SamAsh will do a setup, but it won't be covered by the warrenty. They charge, I think, around 40 dollars. Before you do that though, try what Bruce said. Use an allen wrench to adjust the bridge. You can lower/raise the strings by adjusting those springs that the strings rest on. You won't mess anything up. If you are paranoid about screwing it up, take measurements first by using a machinist ruler (the ones that go to 32's and 64's). Measure the string height at the 17th fret (the distance between the fret and the bottom of the string), then try to adjust.