Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help - string buzz similar to fretless

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Jure the second, Nov 27, 2003.

1. This is the problem:

Yesterday I decided to have a good cleaning of my alembic. I boiled the strings and polished the neck with lemon oil. When I put the strings back on, the A string got an unnatural voice, resonanting strongly through the body and giving it sound like fretless mwah.

Any idea what could be causing this? It's funny, but it steps out and might get annoying in a while.

Thanks.

Jure

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    First, check the string that is making the noise at the post, nut and saddle. Make sure everything is seated and aligned as it should be and that you have a nice, clean break angle at the nut and the at the saddle.

It may just be that the string is ruined. If remove one completely and re install it, often times its no big deal, but it is possible to get the core twisted and ruin it.

Boiling may have goofed it. Water and metal aren't friends. FWIW, you can gain the same results (I think better) with a nice overnight soak in denatured alcohol. It gives you less exposure to oxidation and is a more functional solvent for the crud.

3. Reinstalling didn't work. Also nothing seems to be wrong with the hardware. Looks like this second boiling of the two year old string caused the natural dearh ;) .

Jure