Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help! Strings keep breaking!!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by The Keeper, Jan 15, 2001.

1. The Keeper

The Keeper

Sep 2, 2000
    Hey guys, I dunno if you can help me or not, but I would greatly appreciate it if you can.
    I play bass A LOT (around 5 hours a day on average) and pretty hard. I play a lot of slap stuff and am hard on my strings. Here's my problem: in the last 2 weeks I've broke 5 strings (2 G-strings and 3 D-strings). Now, I know that I play hard and slap is harder than normal on your strings and I play a lot, but shouldn't my strings be lasting more than a week a piece? Help me out, I'm burning a hole in my wallet quick :)
    Thanks a bunch!

2. The Keeper

The Keeper

Sep 2, 2000
    Hey answer me this one too: What's the best gauges for a 4-string in standard tuning for a lot of slap. It would be higher right? like 55 to 110's would stand up to the slapping better than 40 to 100's right? And would stainless steel or Nickel last/sound better?
    Thanks!

3. gothbass

gothbass

Jan 15, 2001
    I had this problem when I first started. Some factors that would keep your strings from breaking are brand, thicknesses, and wind. If you slap a whole bunch like you do, you might want to shell out a few more bucks on some Dean Markeley Blue Steel 55-110 ga. They should work, and their tonality is crystal clear for around 5 months. And when they start to lose clarity, pull them off your bass and put them in boiling water for about 5 minutes. Let them cool, and they sound like new.

4. quick questions:

what kind of bass?
    what brand strings do you buy?
    do the strings break in the same place?

they heavier strings may last longer but your hands probally won't. i used to slap on 55-115 on a 4 string and they beat the hell out of my hands, i went to 105-45 and they feel much better now.

5. TitaniumAngel

TitaniumAngel

Aug 30, 2000
    Where do your strings break? At the net, at the nut, the bridge, the tuner, or somewhere in between? You could have a sharp edge on something. For a while my guitar (yes, im one of the bastards that plays both) had a sharp edge on one of the saddles, and I kep breaking strings like crazy. I took a look at it, and found the sharp edge by feeling it. I used an extra fine file, and got it out, and hadn't had a problem since. On a similar problem, my friends guitar kept breaking g-strings, at the tuner. I took a look at the tuner, ran my finger over it. Sharp edge. Went over it with a file, and he hasnt broken a string since. Hope that helps.

6. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    wow, i think i've mebbe broken 5 or 6 strings in the 10 years i've been playing...finesse is the key to happy fingers and a thicker wallet. i could just be a wuss though...:D

7. I broke 1 string in 19 years. Sounds to me like the technique is the problem. Why do you play so hard? The good slappers do not really hit that hard. If you've got a decent amp you will sound better playing lighter...it's a fact.

8. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    yes, and i might add that none of the strings that i have broken were broken from playing...finesse...

9. He's just a hard out kinda guy!!

10. Erich Zann

Erich Zann

Aug 14, 2000
    Damn, I wish I could say the same as you guys! I managed to get it down to 1 string a month by changing from pick to fingers. I realized later that I used to pick with almost my hole arm when I could get away with it, which is not a good idea, but was probably developed from when I had a really small amp, and was trying to be heard. But now I'm much happier with my sound and my style. Thing is, it's always the E-string, and always an inch or 2 away from the bridge.

11. NJXT

NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    When I started playing bass, the first 2 weeks, I kept breaking string on string and I could'nt understand why.
    After meeting the only other bass player around, it told me I was tuned one full octave above normal :D

Dumb me. We had a good laugh.

12. td1368

td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Philadelphia
    I looked at your profile. I'd imagine w/ a 400 watt head and 2 15" speakers you can't play at full volume for 5 hours. (starting to sound like your mother) With a 400 watt head couldn't you turn up the volume. (just a quess)

I've always heard it's better to turn up the volume and soften the technique.

Another idea is to pick up a 2x10 speaker cab for more high end.

I dunno?