1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

HELP! Strings laying on fret board!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by sleazegeneratio, Jul 15, 2012.

1. sleazegeneratio

sleazegeneratio

Apr 10, 2012
    Ok so I have a Ibanez SB900LE and if you know these basses then you know they only came in 3 of the most hideous colors known to man. So for the past 3 weeks ive been painting mine. Flat black and boy does it look mean! I put it back together today and slapped strings on it..and...3.2.1..problem. The strings are just laying on the neck, barely off the neck i cant even tune due to the strings being just that low. Any Ideas? My main idea that I'm trying right now is maybe the neck has become slack due to no tension, so im letting it sit a couple hours to see if that helps..

2. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Paint in the neck pocket?

3. sleazegeneratio

sleazegeneratio

Apr 10, 2012
    .......damnit.

4. jordak

jordak

Apr 7, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Can you play the frets high up on the neck?
    What you're probably suffering is backbow. The neck is higher around the middle of the neck than it is at either end. Try to tune the bass using the 12th fret to get the tension approximately right. Then loosen the truss rod a quarter turn at a time using the appropriate allen key (If you don't have it, get it from the hardware store). Between turns, sight the neck to see if it's straight . If the neck is straight but the frets are still buzzing, raise the action at the bridge.

If you don't feel comfortable doing this, bring it to a competent tech, should be no problem.

5. jordak

jordak

Apr 7, 2011
    Queens, NY
    nevermind my other post then. Try lightly sanding in the neck pocket?

6. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Since the neck had no strings for a while , and assuming you didn't loosen the truss rod, the wood will want to stay in a backbow for a little while longer. Since you just put the strings back on, give it a day and the string tension will be pulling the neck forward again.

7. Possibilities: As mentioned, paint in neck pocket not allowing the neck to sit correctly in the pocket. Or. you just don't have the neck mounted correctly. Or you may have a bowed neck but most likely the neck is not flat in the pocket.