Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HELP! Sub-5 or Bongo 5???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by QORC, May 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    East Coast
    both have good reviews. Seems like I can get a sub-5 a tad cheaper. Can someone help me out here? I am SO scared of getting yet another guitar that disappoints me. My wife's tolerance for my purchases/sales/purchases is running a bit thin!!!

2. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Huge difference in tones and design. Bongos will give you an interesting [cough] looking body with extremely versatile electronics, 2 pickups, and tone for days. Subs have not nearly as many available tones as the Bongo does. Go and play them. The choice will be clear for you.

-Eric.

3. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    East Coast
    thank you for the fast reply. I'm definitely holding out for a bongo 5 at the right price.

cheers

4. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    The SUB should be more than "a tad" cheaper. The GC I was in yesterday has them on sale now: Bongo 5 HH $999; SUB5 was $649 or $699.

5. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    East Coast
    so I've noticed on ebay - Subs - $450-$550. bongos - $800-$1000

($1,100 new...so I'm going to hold out for $800 on ebay)

6. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    If you want the Stingray sound on a budget, get the SUB. If you want a very versatile active bass and you can afford the extra money, get the Bongo. That's about as simple as I can make it. :cool:

7. Yeah, I would think the StingRay5 would be a more comparable bass to the Bongo. But between a Bongo and a Sub-5...hold out for the Bongo.

8. eldave777

eldave777

May 24, 2005
    Bongos are HORRIBLE! It's not a stingray at all. The Sub 5 is a good starter but the only active eq you can get is a two band and it's not a real cool old stingray 2 band. Also the pickups aren't the same but throw a bassline MM in there and it would be decent. It does feel like a stingray. I don't get the Bongo thing. They are really really bad in my opinion. Ernie Ball does the one thing they do better than anybody else. Maybe they felt pressure to come up with a new model that looked and felt like a toilet seat, I don't know. Also the 18 volt system is just bad. It will overdrive like crazy. It's just unusable. Sorry BONGO fans!

9. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Entitled to your opinion, as unsupported as it might be. Not many will disagree with the toilet seat theory, but the tone is incredible. Once again, you really shouldn't be asking us. Both should be easily available to play at any Guitar Center or guitar shop. Play them and decide. Don't let us do it for you.

-Eric.

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Your 'Also the 18 volt system is just bad. It will overdrive like crazy. It's just unusable.' comment makes me think that you have never played a Bongo. I don't own one, but have spent a lot of times with them in stores. They have the most versatile preamp on the market, and I have never had any problems with it 'overdriving like crazy'. The setup is studio quiet, and if the 4 band preamp were available aftermarket, I would put one in my Nordstrand, my Ibanez, and my Lakland tomorrow.

11. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Nothing to be sorry about, Dave. Your comments about the 18 v preamp alone are so ridiculously laughable that they reduce your comments to white noise. Funny--I don't have any problem making either of my Bongos sound great--never a problem with anything being "overdriven like crazy." Maybe you just don't know what you're doing...

12. Mahlon

Mahlon

Jan 27, 2005
    Bennettsville SC
    Joined May '05. I smell a troll.

13. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I can understand not wanting to own a Bongo, but bashing the preamp is just about insane.

14. eldave777

eldave777

May 24, 2005
    Boy do I ever know how to win friends and influence people! I work in a music store that sells Ernie Ball stuff. I have played Bongos till the cows come home. I know what I'm doing. That's what they pay me for. I agree to disagree about the pre-amp in the Bongo. I have found ways to sell the thing. Studio quiet I like that!!! I'll use that one after my "finish is as smooth as a bass boat" line. The bass just doesn't resonate to me. I like the Sting Ray! It works period. Man don't call me a troll or uneducated about basses. I have an opinion that might suck to you but in the end. I'm the guy they cry to when their bass ain't getting the job done. SO, play your Bongo enjoy it!!! Hey I've got a wall full of them right now, if you want a new one give me a call. All pickup configs, colors, the works. I just thought the guy wanted opinions. Sorry I guess I'll just nod my head and go along with the rest of you.

15. eldave777

eldave777

May 24, 2005
    Admit it boys... You love your Eldave! You sample my quotes, you rip me to shreds, you buy yourself a new beret and go to your local store and say ... this jerk says this and that... what does he know... and then you wait with baited breath to see what I will comment on next. God bless you all!!! Individuality is a real crime here at TalkBass. I'll be your criminal, I'll be your Rock Star!! You love your Rock Star.
    FLASH FORWARD

Dave what are you doing you idiot you don't know anything you said beret you said something doesn't work for you you said Lakland good your laughable you can't spell "admittidley" Don't worry just dig in to this post and hate me up a notch! I care enough about the lowly bass player to say what you won't say, but wish you could. I can pro and con things with you guys all day and in the end if we look at the balance of opinion I'll bet somebodies gonna get an Eldave777 ROCKS!!! tattoo. Lets be men!!! I serve the LORD with all my heart, so please take everything I say here with an ample amount of silliness. PLEASE!!

16. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I don't think anybody hates you, it's just that lots of folks own Bongos and have had positive expereinces with them. I love Modulus, lots of folks think they are cold and sterile. I think the Stingray is tonally versatile, lots think it is a one trick pony. It's not the opinion, it's all in how you state it.

17. popcorn, anyone?

18. eldave777

eldave777

May 24, 2005
    I'll go to work on my adjectives. I truely love the bass guitar. I really, really, do. I am pasionate about it. I respect the jazzy guy, as much as the motown, guy as much as the slap and popper, as much as the upright, as much as the virtuoso, as much as the punk rocker. The "low vibe" is the thing. I will do my utmost to express my opinion with easy to swallow pretty little words and phrases, and if my Ernie Ball rep who loves me and asks my opinion on his product will allow it to happen I'll get bongo preamps for anybody who wants one, send me your bass and I'll put it in for you, I'll treat your Ibanez like a Fodera, because it's your baby. I don't mind if you guys don't like what I have to say or how I say it. I'll read your posts, and respond to you with the great hope that you will understand that my opinions are as important to the guy asking the question as your is. I want to help. I am a bass player first. I love the thing.

19. :rollno: I'm not sure that telling outright lies about the equipment is the way to help. I'd tell QORC that the Bongo preamp is NOT prone to overdriving like crazy, and that it is useable. More than that, it's wonderful. Eldave, I'd tell you that the Bongos on your shelf need new batteries.

20. eldave777

eldave777

May 24, 2005
    Thanks for the advice there Bubba. I don't lie to my customers however. I like to keep customers. I HAVE MADE THE BONGO PREAMP OVERDRIVE. That is an experience I have had with Bongos straight out of the box. It is not a lie. New batteries, or old the pre amp will overdrive. Would you like an MP3 or something for me to prove it? Wait a minute wait wait wait. Your right, I'm wrong. I'm sorry my facts are all wrong this didn't happen to me. This hasn't come up in a product demo where I was trying to sell a bongo. You know my experience better than me. It's my ears that's all. I have problems with certain frequencies the awe inspiring Bongo brings from it's pre amp. I'll tell the boys not to discontinue the Bongo after all. Because the sales figures are all wrong, just like me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.