1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

HELP! SUNN/Ampeg vs. Ashdown-Upgrade?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by IngloriousOz, Sep 14, 2008.

1. IngloriousOz

IngloriousOz Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Everyone-thanks to everyone that's been so helpful with my Orange cabs and Rickenbacker sale.

I am waiting for two Black Electric amps-I've got the matching Electric Black 6x12 and a 2x15/4x10 monolith cabs. I use these for my Doom metal band and its plenty plenty loud enough.

For my other band Iota (Kyuss meets Hawkwind at 11) i've been recently using Ampeg SVT 810e and a 215e USA cab matched with a Sunn 300t and I'm AB'ing with Sunn 1200s (the 1200w rack version), although this is super loud. It's a bit TOO loud and boomy, theres no happy in between and so much low end it makes me nauseous standing in front of it at shows. But volume wise I'm finally keeping up with my GAS afflicted Guitarist.

My question is-I've been thinking about picking up a couple Shavo rigs ABM900 Evo III's with the matching ABM 810 cabs (I've heard these have been discontinued, but i'll track some down)-I know its a longshot but has anyone had experience with either or hopefully both of these varying setups. What can I expect? Can these ABM900's hold up to the volume of a 300t or an SVT classic? What can I do with the tone? Any info about the ABM series compared to typical "stoner rock" rigs would also be helpful.

I'd go down to a shop and play the Ashdown but there isn't a dealer within 400 miles of me.

Sorry about the looong post. Everyone on here has been so helpful and amazing thanks again

2. Geddy Claypool

Geddy Claypool SX J-75/Traben Neo 4 -> SVT-CL/SVT-810E

Aug 3, 2008
    Maryland
    Free bump, interesting question. Wish I knew more.

3. IngloriousOz

IngloriousOz Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Gracias Gedz!

No experience folks?

4. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    I know this is a few months old now, but I'd like to bump it and hear peoples opinions for the sake of gaining knowledge :D

-Benny

5. Yes... sweet delicious DOOM knowledge...

*rubs hands together and foams at mouth*

But seriously, I just want to see these Electric Cabs OP has. :hyper:

6. fatgoogle

fatgoogle

Jun 15, 2008
    From my experience the ashdown will not produce anything in the way of tube overdrive, but you can get dirty grit. It will keep up with tube heads no problem, and that 8x10 isnt discontinued as far as i now and there alot cheaper than any ampeg 8x10(200-300 cheaper new atleast). It might be a bit more wooly though. Im getting an ashdown abm 500 evo 2 and will defiantly use a Sansamp VT with it im thinking. But other wise you have to try one out, there warmth and tone is not for evreyone.