1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. We are aware of an issue affecting search results for classifieds searches and advanced search functions.  Actively working on a fix, thanks for your patience!

HELP, super harmonic bass overdrive ?????

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MADChuudoku, Jun 22, 2017.

1. im searching for a pedal to give me a super harmonically rich overdrive, with a really open top end and a grinding midrange.

the following clip shows the character of the distortion im after, to my hears it is super rich in harmonic content, but i might not even know what im talking about, and be describing things wrong, my signal has a lot more low end content than this, but this is the character of the drive im after.

i have been able to get this overdrive sound using my old pearce BC1 preamp and currently using my 2x suncoast b1p setup.
    but as i have my preamps set up in parallel (one clean punchy lows/low mids + one grinding midrange and treble) i always have that fat clean bottom instead of the crunch across the whole signal,

ive tried BB clones and all sorts of other pedals over the last few days, the character of the TS esque drive got close, but i found the BB clone didnt sound OPEN enough, and if i pushed the treble it just didnt sound right, and some of the other pedals just imparted too much of their own sound on my signal.

and none of them sounded RICH enough in harmonics etc.

i did some reading on what makes the pearce/lab series drives sound the way they do, and all i could dig up was the following:

- distortion based on overdriving an OTA* to either symmetric or asymmetric distortion (for added distortion the Pearce amps also feature plain diode clipping).
    * overdriving an open loop operational transconductance amplifier stage without "diode compensation" in use results to very soft clipping. The iabc terminal can be used to adjust the clipping into asymmetric one by feeding the terminal with the input signal. Refer to Lab Series L5/L7/L9/L11 schematic or to Moog's patent covering the design.

Bob Moog puts a guitar signal through a compressor, then through a CA3080 OTA.
    This gives you a selection of:

1. soft odd-order distortion from the OTA
    2. hard odd-order distortion from severely overdriving the OTA
    3. soft even-order distortion from running some of the signal into the bias pin of the OTA, and
    4. hard even-order distortion off the full-wave rectifier in the compressor
    Distortion circuits operating in modes 1 and 3 were used in some of the Gibson Lab series amplifiers.

but i dont fully know what this means haha.

to cut a long story short, im looking for
    a transparent overdrive pedal with an open top end and massive harmonic content, im really happy with my current parallel OD setup and tone, just need something mega rich to overdrive the whole signal

i do get Tom at COG effects to build me a lot of custom stuff usually, but as he's insanely busy right now i thought id see if there was a solution "off the shelf", or even so i just know what it is that makes the drive im after work.

2. This reminds me of the TGD thread. When you simply say stuff like "BB", it could mean anything:

Blower Box, Idiotbox
    Big Bottom, Tym Guitars
    Big Bottom, Aphex Aural Xciters
    BB Bass preamp, Xotic Effects
    BB-1X, Boss
    BB9, Big Bottom by Ibanez
    Blues Breaker, Marshall
    Buzz Boy, Modtone
    Bass Booster, T. Miranda
    Bad Bob, Analog Man/RGW Electronics
    Bax Bangeetar, Orange

I'm guessing you mean the Xotic BB or the Idiotbox BB.

Here's a journalistic trick: on first reference, give the full name of the pedal; subsequent references can then be shortened.

"My Guyatone Bottom Blaster 2 is giving me trouble, the Volume on the BB2 is intermittent and scratchy..."​

You can take my Journo-style suggestion in one of two ways:

1) I'm being a short-form-of-Richard :eyebrow:

2) I'm trying to be helpful to you so that others may be helpful to you. :thumbsup:

I assure you, the intention was #2
    Of course, I don't always follow my own advice. :bag:

My suggestion to get more harmonic content is to use the Aphex Big Bottom Bass Xciter or similar Aphex Xciter product.
    Another possible option would be BBE Sound's Sonic Maximizer.

Maybe try ...
    Brimstone Audio's Crossover Distortion
    Dod Boneshaker
    VFE Triumvirate
    Zorg Effects Glorious Basstar (just across the Channel from you)
    Mark Hammer's Gruntbox

Custom: Something that splits the signal in two with a HPF and LPF ... if Cog is too busy, go to the colonies for it: PM Azure Skies (Broughton Audio) and discuss your needs, he could do up whatever you want. Closer to home, try SFX for a custom jobbie.

3. haha sorry! yes i meant the xotic bass BB, im going to check out those suggestions

4. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    In case one should assume that you were in fact Richard, which Richard should I then assume you meant?

A. Richard Gere

B. Richard Chamberlain

C. Cliff Richard

D. King Richard III

E. Some other possibly less known Richard

Yeah, sorry for going off topic and not being to much help here, simply was too tempting, hope neither OP or you Feral Feline take offend.

Iristone and azapistagyerek like this.
  5. :roflmao:

No offense taken.
    Short form of Richard... Rich... Rick... D

That Pearce BC1 intrigues.

6. the triumvirate looks VERY interesting!! shame they're discontinued, time to hit the classifieds i reckon

7. Fuzzbass and MADChuudoku like this.
  8. I have a Zorg that was mentioned earlier.

Get one they're cheap to make and sound insanely good, having gain and volume control of 3 different as points is so good.

Love mine, considering getting a second tbh

9. I picked up the Zorg Basstar PCB from fellow TBer Karter2000, but haven't had time to build it yet. I want to build a VFE Triumvirate and pit the two head-to-head.

10. I got something close recently by blending a GGG BrassMaster with clean signal the combined signal into an Ictineo into a B3 for some room ambience.

11. TerribleLiar23

TerribleLiar23 Anti-Scientologist Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2011
    RTP

Boneshaker $49.99 again

Seems like a relatively cheap solution.

bassbrad and jaydnt like this.
  12. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    The DSM Noisemaker Drive Maker sounds like it might do what you want.

13. DirtyDuke

DirtyDuke Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 13, 2012
    guelph ontario
    Partner Southampton Pedals, Partner CCP
    Fea Labs Dual band distortion.

Adienn7 likes this.
  14. 49.99 Boneshaker can do super saturated harmonic for daze and cheaply.

TerribleLiar23 likes this.
  15. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    There is nothing more harmonically rich than a Dunwich Ol' Dirty Bass or Volt Thrower IMO. The high gain Wizard Fuzz also delivers the harmonically rich. After a long run of trying different drives, I've ended up all Dunwich. (Although, I'm adding a Black Arts Pharaoh to my board.)

Edit: Dunwich is not transparent. But, I'm one of those that thinks nothing is.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
    Impermanence likes this.
  16. Brimstone Audio XD-2 Crossover Distortion. Basilisk if you’re feeling frisky.

Fuzzbass likes this.
  17. Adienn7

Adienn7

Jan 26, 2007
    but good luck finding one.. lol I never have the money when I find one! lol

DirtyDuke likes this.
  18. Adienn7

Adienn7

Jan 26, 2007
    Ashdown Hyper drive. only drives the mid leaves top and bottom alone

19. Why are you shouting?

That reminds me, I need to sort out what I'm having etched on mine. Gotta knuckle down and decide on a graphic.

TerribleLiar23 likes this.
  20. But the colour of the drive isn't that great IMO, there are plenty of better sounding drives. Plus it's bloody huge, not particularly pedalboard friendly

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 21, 2021