Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HELP!!! SVT 4 Pro... (bad distortion/buzzing sound)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by siddd, Jul 11, 2005.

1. siddd

siddd

Jul 11, 2005
    Please help me with my SVT 4 Pro. When playing, "channel A" sounds fine
    but "channel B" has a bad distortion sound mixed in when playing.
    I am sure that the amp is hooked up right. What shoud I try next ???
    :meh:

2. thedoctor

thedoctor

Jun 20, 2005
    If it isn't brand-new, you may have to do some house-keeping. The 4 has two effects loops and the plug-sockets, or jacks, for these I/Os have a major dirt issue. Plug a shielded cord between the effect in and the effect out on BOTH loops. That would mean a total of two cords. If it goes away, start cleaning. If not, sent it in.

3. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Yes, good suggestion.

Also, push all switches a few times, including the biamp and mono mode switches, then set back to normal. They can get dirty/corroded. Some bar atmospheres are pretty nasty.... smoke, humidity, etc.

If that does not good, you can also try patching the "A" preamp output to "B" power amp input. They are almost same signal path, but at least that might isolate it to the power amp or preamp.

If not dirt etc, possibly bad solder joint.

Could also be low power amp bias for some reason. That can cause a fuzz tone sound that is usually worst at low volume. With that circuit, not as likely, but still possible.

As usual, lots of possible issues, some simple, some not. Most likely not a big deal to fix, but certainly a big deal to you right now.....