1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help: SWR Goliath Jr. question: impedance

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tim Cole, Nov 6, 2002.

1. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I have a 4 ohm goliath II Junior, and was wondering if there is a reasonably simple way to convert this to 8 ohms? Also wondering if these drivers would be the same (speaker only) impedance of the 4 ohm goliath senior (6x10) I own? Looking for a way to run both cabs off of a single amp, with a 2.66-4 ohm draw. best way IMO to achieve this would be to have the jr. at 8 ohm. Help?????

2. Aussie Mark

Aussie Mark I come from a land down under Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2002
    Sydney, Oz
    Endorsing Artist: Fender; O'Neill Amps; Cave Passive Pedals
    This link covers how to rewire your cabinet or build a separate series box ....

Click here

3. I am assuming that your speaker is a 2x10 config? If it is I think you're screwed. It probably has 2x8 ohm speakers wired in parallel making 4 ohms resistance. I don't know of any other way to wire this cab other than in series to make it 16:( You are wanting to run it with you 6x10 cab that is rated at 4 ohms? Check the impedience of the individual drivers in the 6x10 cab. You might find a way to hook all 8 in series/parallel to make 4 ohms using the link Aussie sent:D

4. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Unfortunately short of replacing the speakers there is no way. You could replace the speakers with either 2-4 OHM speakers in series (=8 Ohms) or 2-16 Ohm speakers in parallel (=8 Ohms). You can probably find some one that has an 8 Ohm Cabinet (and needs a 4 Ohm cabinet) to trade with. I know when I was looking for my SWR Goliath Jr. I wanted a 4 Ohm and most of them that I found seemed to be 8 Ohm. Happy hunting!:)
    As far as getting 8 Ohms from combining both cabinets, I suspect that the wiring box referenced in the earlier reply accomplished wiring the two cabinets in series with each other (equal 8 Ohms). You could also wire up a cable to run between the cabinets to accomplish the same thing (std speaker cable from amp to one cab., special cable from that speaker to the other speaker; series/parallel).