Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help: SWR Goliath Jr. question: impedance

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tim Cole, Nov 6, 2002.

1. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I have a 4 ohm goliath II Junior, and was wondering if there is a reasonably simple way to convert this to 8 ohms? Also wondering if these drivers would be the same (speaker only) impedance of the 4 ohm goliath senior (6x10) I own? Looking for a way to run both cabs off of a single amp, with a 2.66-4 ohm draw. best way IMO to achieve this would be to have the jr. at 8 ohm. Help?????

2. Aussie Mark

Aussie Mark I come from a land down under Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2002
    Sydney, Oz
    Endorsing Artist: Fender; O'Neill Amps; Cave Passive Pedals
    This link covers how to rewire your cabinet or build a separate series box ....

Click here

3. I am assuming that your speaker is a 2x10 config? If it is I think you're screwed. It probably has 2x8 ohm speakers wired in parallel making 4 ohms resistance. I don't know of any other way to wire this cab other than in series to make it 16:( You are wanting to run it with you 6x10 cab that is rated at 4 ohms? Check the impedience of the individual drivers in the 6x10 cab. You might find a way to hook all 8 in series/parallel to make 4 ohms using the link Aussie sent:D

4. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Unfortunately short of replacing the speakers there is no way. You could replace the speakers with either 2-4 OHM speakers in series (=8 Ohms) or 2-16 Ohm speakers in parallel (=8 Ohms). You can probably find some one that has an 8 Ohm Cabinet (and needs a 4 Ohm cabinet) to trade with. I know when I was looking for my SWR Goliath Jr. I wanted a 4 Ohm and most of them that I found seemed to be 8 Ohm. Happy hunting!:)
    As far as getting 8 Ohms from combining both cabinets, I suspect that the wiring box referenced in the earlier reply accomplished wiring the two cabinets in series with each other (equal 8 Ohms). You could also wire up a cable to run between the cabinets to accomplish the same thing (std speaker cable from amp to one cab., special cable from that speaker to the other speaker; series/parallel).