Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help! SWR SM 900 ( 120 volt to 220 volt )

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TimothyGroovy, Jan 12, 2004.

1. TimothyGroovy

TimothyGroovy Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 3, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Owner: Uni••Sound
    I'm planning to bid a SWR SM-900 on ebay or get one used at any music store. Since I live outside of US, and the 120voltage is not suit for my country, I have to modify it for 220V. What can I do for it? does SM-900 has a multi-tap primaries on their power transformers? or I have to re-wire it? Please let me know. and thanks a lot.

P.S. (I suppose I will buy a 2000-2003 model)

2. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    I'd get in touch with SWR and ask them. Alternatively, you could pick up a 110-240 transformer. It's a pain to drag to gigs, but it works fine.

Start with SWR. I had the same issue with GK a few years back and they sent me a digram for the change in case I wanted to take it to an electrician to do the mod.

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    From the SWR web site:

"SWR Professional Series models built prior to March 1999 feature multi-tap transformers and can be wired for 110v, 120v, 220v, or 240v. A schematic for this purpose may be ordered from SWR by calling (480) 596-7195."

It goes on to say that NEWER amps require a power transformer replacement (expensive!!!). The amps have removable power cords, so the cord is not an issue.

So buy a used one made prior to 1999.

4. TimothyGroovy

TimothyGroovy Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 3, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Owner: Uni••Sound
    So is it possible to rewire those 2000-2003 model? because I have some local electrical technician that I trust with. So I wanna ask for the possibility of rewire those latest model.

5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    You have to replace the power transformer, that will be pretty expensive.

Just get an older amp.