Help Talk Me Out Of Another P-Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lowphatbass, May 23, 2020.

1. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    ...We’ve seen this before, I know.

So here’s the deal. I’ve got 3 P’s already, all a bit different. Oddly enough they’re all MIJ Fenders from 83-84...One “straight-up” P, one PJ and a single coil P.
    A friend of a friend is selling a ‘62. It’s been cleanly re-fretted, all hardware, electronics, PG and alum shield are original, original HSC. When the bass was his main player in the 70’s-80’s he had a J pickup installed. Since then it’s been removed, filled and the body refinished in black nitro. The refin looks to be of factory quality and done by a respected dude.
    I love my MIJ’s but keep thinking about this ‘62. Im not crazy about the fact that it’s a refin but the fact that I know it’s provenance is keeping me interested. I haven’t tried the bass...probably would have if not for this pandemic situation.
    The price seems pretty fair(to me), think I could get it for $3K.

2. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    This too shall pass.
    With all the work that's been done on it, I can't see how the price is justified.

lowphatbass and Volker Kirstein like this.
  3. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA/RS
    How does it play and sound ? To me, that would be far more important than anything else. So hold your horses until you try it out.

If I were interested in a player-grade P from that era and was smitten by it, $3K wouldn't sound all that bad.

My $0.02 only...

lowphatbass and Volker Kirstein like this.
  4. Volker Kirstein

Volker Kirstein Blippy the Wonder Slug

Hmm... an all original '62 in decent shape would be well worth it, but this is in no way original. Despite being professionally done, it's still a refin. So, for a collector, pass.

As a player? The only way to tell if it's worth it, to you, is for you to play it. One man's "plays like buttah" is another man's "too soft!"

lowphatbass and FantasticFour like this.
  5. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Yea, I’d have to agree about the butter.
    I’ve never really studied vintage values enough to know exactly what refins are really selling for regularly, I’m also thinking that’s what’s remaining in the neck pocket that’s still original(not stripped or sprayed over) is going to have a small impact on value.

Volker Kirstein likes this.
  6. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    to me the Fullerton finish is why the old stuff is cool and worth bothering with, lose that and what do you have other than a possible good vintage 'player'? but, yeah, support the economy amap.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2022