Help testing a EBMM triple coil

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by rustlander1, Apr 20, 2016.

1. rustlander1

rustlander1

Sep 8, 2013
    Hi, I'm looking for some help testing a Ernie Ball Musicman pickup. It's a triple coil with 4 conductors - red, green, black, white, and a shielded wire. I have a multimeter but don't know what combination of wires I should be using and also don't have a Bass with a preamp to try and wire it up. Help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    This would be a good place to start.

The finish of the dummy coil and south coil are tied together with the purple wire, and grounded through the bare wire. Red is north coil start, Green is north coil finish. White is south coil start, and Black is dummy coil start.

With a DPDT on/on switch, this would put the north and south coil in series, and the north and dummy coil in parallel when split

upload_2016-4-20_18-34-20.png

This would put your north and south coil in parallel, and your your north and dummy coil in parallel when split

upload_2016-4-20_18-39-19.png

I am not sure what type of switch you would need for series/split/parallel switching options, I am thinking maybe an on/on/on 4pdt switch would be what you would need

3. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    This should work for Parallel/Split/Series wiring with a switch like this one

I am pretty sure this is right, someone correct me if its wrong.
    upload_2016-4-20_19-2-24.png

4. rustlander1

rustlander1

Sep 8, 2013
    Thanks Hopkins, I definitely understand the pickup better. So, if I interpret your reply correctly, I should be able to tie the red and green wires together and touch the white and black to pos and neg on the multimeter and get a reading. Is that correct? I'll try it tonight when I get home.

5. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Just to test resistance, to test the north coil, measure resistance across the green and red wire. To test the south coil, measure across the white and bare wire, to test the dummy coil, measure across the bare and black wire. You can also twist the white and green wire together and measure resistance across the bare and red wire to check resistance of the pickup in series.

6. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan. Supporting Member

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    How about a rotary switch?

7. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    It would work, but IMHO rotary switches are not very intuitive to use. An on/on/on toggle is much easier to navigate on the fly than a rotary