Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HELP!! the guys in my flat plugged a cd player in!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JJsBassbeatblue, May 18, 2004.

1. ok so they came in and plugged a cd player in the amp and turned it up. two songs later i came in to find a bad smell of burning something :crying: . any ideas? iv checked the cones and everything sounds fine, i dont think anything has warped. a mate of mine is gona have a look (does sound electronics) but what should i be looking for. oh and what should i do to the prick with the cd player??!! cheers.

2. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    That sucks man, that sucks a lot. I would be so mad if anyone ever did that without asking me, it's so disrespectful.

As to what to do to the prick with the cd player, I guess be mad, cause I don't think physical violence will solve anything, but if it was mine, I'd want to kick him haha. If it's broken hopefully you can get him to pay for the repairs.

Best of luck and hoepfully it's not hurt in anyway.

Peace
    -Ben

3. joeybcdt

joeybcdt

May 6, 2004
    SE Texas
    I seriously doubt it harmed your amp in any way.

4. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Yep,
    Very doubtful if it did any kind of damage.
    Maybe that burning smell was somethin' else..........weed?
    :D

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I agree - I play CDs through my amp at virtually every gig, as background music for the interval etc. Never had any problems.

Amps can get hot at any time, but the worst that happens usually, is a fuse blows and you replace it!

6. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I'd be pretty upset if they did it without my permission or knowledge. If you think something was damaged tell your roommate that you'll be taking the amp to get checked out teck and you expect him to pay for that and any possible damage that may have occured.

On a different note. How does one hook up a cd player to an amp? I have a Demeter VTB-201s and a QSC PLX 1602. What inputs would I use?

7. Depending on the type of output on the CD, (like 'headphones out' may be either 1/8" or 1/4" and make a cable to go to the effects return) the 'audio out' (usually RCA cables, make an RCA to 1/4") would go to the passive input.

8. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    If it's a portable cd player, all you need is a 1/8" > 1/8" cable, and put a 1/8">1/4" adapter on one end, and plug that into the input on your amp. Keep the volume on the CD player down (I usually use 50%-75%).

9. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

i don't think any harm to the amp , maybe they should ask for permission next time :eyebrow:

i've also had friends who thought it would be ok to use my cabinet to practice jumping off { parachute freaks }...

10. Are they very, very short?

11. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    He should pay for the repairs.

And you should use his CD player next time he's out. :meh:

12. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Hmmmmm, my favorite music through a Demeter Pre a 1600 watt QSC through 2 EA VL210B's. Oh yes, this should be interesting. Very interesting

[​IMG]

13. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

nah , the cabinet was tall for a folded horn :

it was a Mitchell 1-18" folded horn that stood about 48" high...
    also , they rolled it out on the back patio and jumped off a deck that was about 24" off the ground ...

14. 72" isn't a lot of time for a parachute to open, especially if you're averaging 5'10. :D

I'd want around 500 feet if I were doing static line!!! :p

15. notanaggie

notanaggie Guest

Sep 30, 2003
    If its working, probably fine.

A while ago, a doofus friend of mine managed to stick a CD of DIGITAL DATA into the player instead of a music CD.

That fried a borrowed Yamaha PA amp, which I had to fix for him. Did a fine job of cooking it, no questions about burnt smells, it flat didn't work and it blew fuses.

16. Robman

Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    Yeah, and "accidentally" smear peanut butter on the under side of a really bad CD ;)

17. cheers, everything seems to be fine now (im gona keep an eye on it though). as for what it was it could have been him having the amp up on full and the cd player on full to. anyway, i got my own back by braking his guitar strings and feel that thast enough!

18. Maybe it was a negative ground cd player, like some stock car radios.

And I'd say you're even then :D.

19. I agree I doubt this would harm your amp. The burning smell was probably you getting all steamed up! Hahaha! If anyone did that to me though, they'd find their CD player swimming in the toilet when they went to take a leak!
    Time to hang out the "Hands Off" signs!