Help! The hole is threaded!.....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ToStogyDX, May 10, 2001.

1. On my Ibanez I just replaced the stock strap with Dimarzios lock straps and after about 2 days of playing a couple hours each day... the bottom screw stripped out all the wood from the hole. Damn. What could I fill it up with to redrill? Epoxy? Please help out, thanks.
  2. ack, same thing just happened with my first bass. I'm going to try some crazy glue. :)
  3. odie

odie Supporting Member

Actually take some wood glue and smear it on to some toothpicks and jam them into hole. Wipe off the glue. Let dry for at least 12-24hrs, then use a razor blade/exacto-knife and cut the toothpicks off that are sticking out of the hole.Wallah screw the strap lock back in.
  4. i did the exact same thing with one of my old basses and it never came out again
  5. I think this happens to nearly every bassist in their bass playing career.

Drill out the hole so its rounded, put some PVA glue in and slide some dowel in the hole. let it set, cut it smooth, sand it a bit (careful of paintwork) and re-drill the hole.

Hey i paid $30 to have mine done by a professional.. can't wait till it falls out again.
  6. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Another vote for wood glue and toothpicks. It really works!
  7. Thanks a lot for the quick replies. I'm out to buy some glue! Well, atleast tomorrow. ;)
  8. i took a beating last time i said it but yes tooth picks. i have never used glue with it but all my basses have Schaler strap locks and with a toothpick or two the screw holds very snug.

good luck
  9. Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    I used a match when that happened to me. No glue, break the striking surface off and rescrew the strap button. Same principal as the toothpicks.
  10. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Beings that my bass is Agathis (stupid cheap Ibanez!) I've never had that problem. BUT when faced with simmilar situation, I prefer matchsticks (no head!). They're a bit softer, so you can get the hole packed in better than with toothpicks. That's my experience in that feild.
  11. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Use flat toothpicks, not round, if you have a choice. They can be arranged around the wall of the hole better.
  12. =^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    Take the strap button out and enlarge the hole for a flush fitting Dunlop..

Or Glue and toothpicks
  13. Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    I like the tooth pick method. I would recommend using plain ones thought. Two of my basses smell like mint and hot dam schnapps.

14. Just bought some super glue from the dollar store. The toothpick method worked. I fit about 2 whole toothpicks in, and little ends of the others filled the cracks and I super glued the toothpicks. Works great. Thanks guys