Help the new guy!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Haunted, Jan 17, 2003.

1. Haunted

Jan 17, 2003
    I wanna start playing bass.. But not sure what to buy! should I get a 4 string or 5 string?

Ive noticed that most of the bands I like play 5, does it have much of a difference?
  2. how much do you have to spend? i'd say get a 4 because you can get a better 4 for less money.
  3. DP Custom

DP Custom DP Custom Basses

Feb 7, 2001
    NC, USA
    Get a 5'er ..
    You can find one in just about any price range.
    And the added versatility / range doesn't hurt.:D

just my opinion

4. I started 2 weeks ago. I have a background in guitar so thats really helped me with getting off the ground really quickly.

Anyways I came here 1st to ask about basses to. The resounding response from these boards was to get an Essex ( bass. Rondo Music is aparently the only distributor of these. I got mine 1 day after I ordered it, but these guys are at NAMM (instrument trade show) currently and woun't be shipping anything till the 21st.

I got the Essex because people here said they were much much better than Squiers of roughly the same price range. My bass is 4 string and I don't think ill be getting a 5 string until it becomes a necessity (or until i get a lot of money :)). The model I bought was the BG-150 but I am a lefty player so that may not be one you'll want. I am very very happy with it's performance. I have yet to pick up a bass amp but the guitar itself is magnificent.

As for other accessories, you'll want an amp, tuner (if you can't tune by ear), picks, strap, something to carry it in, and whatever else fits your fancy.

I am in the middle of buying an amp off of my friend and I will soon be buying a gig bag from my local music store. As for tuners I bought a Korg CA-30 (as recommended by the folks here) and I am waiting for it to come . Aparently it is an excellent LCD tuner which is only $20 or so.

Also, a book or two wouldn't hurt if your entirely new to string instruments. Any "How to Play Bass" book would be very good. People here recommend Carol Kaye as an author.

Welcome to the world of bass my friend! I hope you stay.
  5. NOOOO!!!! use your fingers!! Just put the pick on the ground and step away slowly!!

ok, i'm just playin :D

i have played a 5 from the start, and i dont really know why. i hardly ever use the B string...but then again, i dont have a rig that can even consider trying to get a B out. it's nice to have the option though. in retrospect, i think i should have spent the extra money on a mid-priced 4 string, instead of the cheap 5 string that i got.

you should go to your local music store and ask to play a 5 and a 4 string...see which one you like better. and if you let them know that you want to start playing bass and will need to buy all the gear...they just might leave you alone and let you explore!

good luck with it!

ps. everyone here gives out amazing advice...spend some time reading all the old posts and you will learn a TON of info...i did