Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help the newb

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dom Wannabe, May 17, 2004.

1. Dom Wannabe

Dom Wannabe

May 17, 2004
    yo. im wantin to start bass. suggestions on a cool/inexpensive model 4 newbs?

2. Dom Wannabe

Dom Wannabe

May 17, 2004
    yeah......the crazier and more colorful the better. not much of a fender fan myself, but hey i know nothing. suggestions?

3. Dom Wannabe

Dom Wannabe

May 17, 2004
    noone.......? :crying:

4. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
  5. grovest

grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    Oregon
    Go to every music store in your area and play every bass in your budget. Then pick the one you like the most. If you want more information try searching these forums for 'starter bass', etc.

Good luck!

6. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    Ditto...Find a good teacher...gear is gear but we need the chops oh the chops. Spend your money on lessons... :bassist:

7. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    What's your budget? I recommend either a P or PJ as a first bass.

MIM Fender P=$400
    Squier P=$200
    Ibanez GSR=$200

I like Washburn's cheaper line. Not sure if you'll find any "crazy and colorful" basses in the $200-$400 price range. BC Rich Warlocks are cheap and look crazy. Ibanez EDA's can be found on Ebay for $350ish occasionally.

BTW: EDA's rule!!!!!!!! :bassist:

8. NO!!! No P or Js please! Go with something different! PLEASE! My 2 Cents! heehehehe, no offense to all your fender fans.
    Thanks
    Troy

9. byrdsfan

byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    L.I.
    Fenders are different in these Yamaha-Ibanez-everything else curvy dayz.

Danelectro!

10. Guys, let's not start this again. I remember my first times on this forum, I was also looking for a bass to start on. And yep, the first things I noticed here were these stupid fender vs everything discussions.

For the TS: like woody and vac said:
    1) go to the stores, and don't care about fender or no fender. Once you can play, THEN you can worry about your image :p
    2) take lessons. Maybe you can ask your teacher to go with you. Mine did, and I was glad he was there.