Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help the old new guy out

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Particle Man, Mar 4, 2005.

1. Particle Man

Particle Man

Aug 24, 2004
    I've started playing again after several years and need to rebuild my arsenal. I'm looking at the deals with Avatar right now and am almost ready to pull the trigger, but need a little advice. I'm pretty sold on the Hartke 3500 as a head, mostly because its one of the few that I can try locally, but am unsure on what my best route on a cab would be.

We gig very rarely, once every 2 or 3 months, so I don't need a monster rig, but when we do, it would be nice to hear myself for a change. Can I get away with using a 1x12, or would a 2x10 or a 1x15 be better. Or even a 2x12.

We play mostly psuedo-edgy pop/rock stuff, but I want something versatile as I've also been messing around with a blues combo.

I'm playing a Fender MIA deluxe jazz if that makes any difference to you.

2. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

It depends on whether you are going to want the flexibility of small show / big show equipment.

For me, if I was going to continue building my rig so that I could cover both small & large venues, I'd buy a 2x10 and then later a 1x15. That way I'd have the convenience of lugging around only a 2x10 for small gigs.

I'd also be happy to go the other way too and buy the 1x15 first, as I only use a Peavey 1x15 right now with my Ampeg SVT III pro head and it sounds pretty good.

However, if I knew beforehand that I wanted to use only one cab all the time, I'd be done with it, spend the extra, and get the 2x12. You'd be set for practically any size of venue with that cabinet.

There's another thread that will shed some light on this as well. Looks like the guys who are familiar with the gear like a 1x12 and 2x10 combo.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=168399

3. Particle Man

Particle Man

Aug 24, 2004
    I guess I like the idea of having a small cab for use at practice. Our space is really small with some twisty stairs leading down. I'm not wild about the idea of lugging a bulky 2x12 down there.

I guess I'm worried the 2x10 won't handle the bottom end, the 1x15 won't be punchy enough, and the 1x12 just seems, I don't know, too small to do the job. I don't have enought experience with cabs to make a well informed decision. When I played years ago, I stumbled upon an 8x10 and never looked back. There's no way I'd be dragging that thing around today.

4. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    It may be a little more expensive than the Avatar cabs, but everybody here is raving about the Schroeder 1210. Its a 12" + 10" + tweeter cab, only 47 lbs., handles 850 watts and is very efficient too (so you don't need a ton of power to drive it).
    Don't underestimate the potential of good 1x12 cabs either. One should be good for rehearsals and you can gig most places with two of them. Two 1x12s sound fantastic in my opinion. Lots of guys here use that set up too.
    Just my thoughts. Good luck deciding!

5. i say, get yourself a luggage cart to handle your stuff with. the cab should be a breeze then

6. Hey Particle man...I too was called back recentely after several years to play again with the same band (which was way cool) and I'm no spring chicken. You will notice that us "Hartke" users here are few and far between. To each his own! I picked up the HA3500 about a month ago on closeout( I guess they are putting a silver face on it now) for $319, they were $449.. so I went for it. Great amp...lots of power with a 4 ohm cab. Then I came accross a Hartke 215XL on "ebay" for half the price. I can EQ any of the Hartke sound out or leave it in. People here will steer you in many directions but a 410xl (not transporter or anything else) and the 3500 will rock! You can see my setup on the last page of the "Show your amp" page if your interested. Buying new gear is fun.......use your ears....

7. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

What do they want for the head (and is it used or new)? Hate to say it, but there are better choices out there for your money (especially if the head is new). I had one of these for a while (HA3500). I also had a HA7000 and still have a HA1400. Good heads, but not great in my opinion. Again, you can get more for your money (and not just Kustom either guys :p ) out there.

The Avatar cabs are certainly a good choice! I personally run a 1x12 on bottom (for lows including a nice low B) and a 2x10 on top (for mids and punch!). Great setup, very portable and VERY resonably priced considering the quality you get (don't even think about getting bargain cabs like SWR Workingman's, Hartke VX or Transporters series, Berhringers, etc).

Tell us what kind of tone you are looking for (vintage warmth or hi-fi bright).

8. Particle Man

Particle Man

Aug 24, 2004
    I'm typically more of a hi-fi tone guy, but like I said earlier, I've messed around with a blues band a bit and like a warmer tone there. My problem is the lack of choice in this town. I'd hate to buy the amp without hearing it. The dealer I've been going to most often, is moving into strictly Hartke for whatever reason, and another is almost exclusively Ampeg (not a big fan). There is a G-K dealer in town, but he never seems to have product.

9. A pair of Avatar SB112s would work great.I've used a pair at a few jobs and they work real well,plenty of good bottom and nice punch.They are real light and one is plenty loud for practice,that would solve going down the steps.You could leave one at home and leave one at practice.Another option would be to get a 112 and a 210 cabinet like Quadzilla uses for a little bit more money.

The best one cabinet solution I know of that would be portable would be the Schroeder 1210.It's a couple hundred dollars more than a pair of Avatars but from what everybody says one can handle most jobs by it self and they are easy to hear on stage.

10. Robear22

Robear22 Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    Here is a pic of my 210 and 112. I love it and they cover the lows and the highs. Also can take separates for whatever I need. I did a coffe house last weekend and the 112 hit it just right.

[​IMG]

11. merrill1

merrill1

Dec 1, 2004
    Hey!

I made a really loud combo that is pretty light by ordering a cab from Marc Serio at Dr. Bass - he put a empty 2 space rack in it for me, and I slid the HA3500 into it. Louder than my previous 1x18 and 4x10 stack, and moves a ton of air. Sound is incredible - anything you want to play through them. Tight, punchy and great low growl.

go here to see a picture

www.aaronmerrill.741.com

check out www.drbasscabs.com for his options - you will not be dissapointed! -
    ps - if you get one, let him know I sent you alright?

12. Particle Man

Particle Man

Aug 24, 2004
    I think I'm pretty sold on a 1x12. Then I have the option to add either another 12 or a 2x10 in the future. Does anyone have any comments on the head? I know Quadzilla isn't fond of the Hartke. Are their any specific reasons I should steer clear of that head? The other option I was considereing was a G-K. Probably the 700RB. What are the pros and cons on this?

13. Quadzilla

It's not that I dislike them, there are just better heads for your money (especially if you look used). The Hartkes did ok for me (again. I've had 3 of them and gigged with them so I know what talking about), but they just didn't seem to offer great tonal ranges and were kind of sterile in my opinion. Again, it's just my opinion, nothing more. Others may love their stuff...

14. Particle Man

Particle Man

Aug 24, 2004
    Quadzilla,
    What are your thoughts on G-K?

15. Quadzilla

I A/B'ed a GK 1001RB II against my head before making my final descision. It talks about GK tone, features, output, etc. Details here (go to last page to see the A/B) --> Click Me!