Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help the unsure

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by bassbully43, Jul 11, 2005.

1. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Hey, here it is I am 43 and a family man who loves to play and have all my life. I am decent at both the Guitar and bass. I love the bass more cuz it fits my style at this age and im layed back and like to groove behind it all.I want to start or get in a band I prefer old rock or blues but would consider a country (old) or even jazz...really anything to play. I lack confidence even thou i write and arrange songs that i recorded on a four track. People who have heard them say they are good and they seemed impresed. The songs i have that people have read (no music) are always met positive...maybe they are being nice. I ask them to be honest :D I just am scared if i find a band what if im not good enough...should i advertise or how do i start looking? My wife said i could get better gear if i ever were in a band i need it to...could this be a problem? I only have a pratice amp. Thanks for reading my rant i had a couple of bands in the end of high school but they were buddies and that was so long ago. Hope you guys can charge me up to go for it...any advise is a help.

2. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Hey, here it is I am 43 and a family man who loves to play and have all my life. I am decent at both the Guitar and bass. I love the bass more cuz it fits my style at this age and im layed back and like to groove behind it all.I want to start or get in a band I prefer old rock or blues but would consider a country (old) or even jazz...really anything to play. I lack confidence even thou i write and arrange songs that i recorded on a four track. People who have heard them say they are good and they seemed impresed. The songs i have that people have read (no music) are always met positive...maybe they are being nice. I ask them to be honest :D I just am scared if i find a band what if im not good enough...should i advertise or how do i start looking? My wife said i could get better gear if i ever were in a band i need it to...could this be a problem? I only have a pratice amp. Thanks for reading my rant i had a couple of bands in the end of high school but they were buddies and that was so long ago. Hope you guys can charge me up to go for it...any advise is a help.

3. I was sort of in the same position a few years back, (I'm 45 and have been playing for 30 years). Its tough to find groups to play with when you have other considerations that demand you time and attention like job, family etc.....

My solution was the local community college (believe it or not)besides the normally expected classical programs, they also have a jazz big band and a small pop combo. I play in one or the other every semester (by now though, I don't get course credit, only auditing) We have two 1.5 hr rehersals per week, and a total of 5 shows per year.

The age thing worried me at 1st but there are people in the music program from 12 to 75 :) I have also had the chance to ineract with several very serious and very talented people :cool: , and occassionally landed short term side gigs

This situation fits in well with my personal life and gives me the opportunity to play with other musicians. It also takes away a lot of the stresses that come from a more traditional band setting.

BTW..... fill in your profile, it helps people on TB answer your questions. ;)

.....Jim

4. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Thanks forgot about the profile.

5. Post some songs on here if you can. There are plenty people here who don't care to pick your technique apart and tell you just how it is. As for jamming with a band, you can't go wrong. Put an ad up at your local music shop or in your newspaper that you're a bassist looking for a band and someone will more than likely call.

6. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

I'd suggest trying to, at least initially, hook up with some folks you know from some other context (work, church, neighbors, etc.). I'm 41 and didn't do the "rock band" thing until after I left college (I was doing the "jazz band" thing on sax until then). All the bands I've been in (just a handful) were ones I hooked into through people I met through other places (usually work, but the latest was through church). Also if you attend a church that has music that would use bass that would be another way to ease into playing with other folks.

As a not very outgoing person I find it easier to do things that way rather than go into an audition-type situation where I don't know anyone.

So find anyone you know that also plays and start getting together to jam. It's so much fun playing in a group you'll get hooked. And maybe find some compatible folks to start a group. Heck if you write, play bass and sing you just need a couple of other folks and you're ready to go.

That said, when I was cruising the stores looking for used gear with our percussionist this week there were a lot of "bassist wanted" ads posted (drummers seem to be the #1 need but bassists were easily #2).

7. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    I have a guy who works with me who said he might try to find time to start a side project this winter...but hes trying to get his main band going. My wifes ex just got back into drumming and i talked to him about getting together. My wife was Ok with it i think. we have not talked about it in a while i rerely see him but hes close to home. I agree about the show up and play to people you dont know... Yuck. I am so unsure about my skills and fear i'm not good enough. I stuggle with theory and can only play by ear but know i can play and write bass lines like i have for my songs its just in me and i really feel i have never had a chance to let it out.Its tough to live with the frustration of wanting to do this but needing to find the people and confidence to do it. Thanks for the advice it helps. by the way i'm not looking to be a star or even record just to get out and play and do a few free shows would be huge.

8. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

My theory knowledge is non-existant, if you can play by ear, put together lines (or copy the high points on existing ones for covers) and maybe read a chord chart (A, Am, C, Eb, etc.) you are good to go for all the bands I've been in. That's pretty much what I do and it's kept my bandmates happy enough (they've had about the same level of knowledge). That might not be enough if you want to play serious prog rock or jazz, but it's been enough to keep me active.

I'd say play with whoever you can. You'll fit with some folks, and won't with others but in time you'll find the right group to work with.

9. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Wow that helps alot . I can play the top of covers and even improve some i feel. I can write lines to originals and somewhat read a chord chart (getting better) thats whats funny a few guys i know in gigging bands (guitartists) say they dont read or know theory. Most do tab or write and arrange by ear...one has a small deal thru an idie record label and it works for him.If i can find guys that have the same level of music knowledge it would help and make me more comfy for sure.