Help thinking through playing my bass through my phone over bluetooth

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by xanatrobe, Oct 12, 2016.

1. xanatrobe

xanatrobe

Jul 9, 2013
    My first floor of my house will have regular speakers hooked up to an A/V receiver. I can play music through spotify over my phone and send the music to bluetooth in the receiver. What I would like to do is plug my bass into my phone's microphone input and adjust the input level so that I can play along with the music and have my bass go through the speakers as well. I know there might be some latency issues etc... but does anyone have a good solution for this? Would iRig Mobile or something similar work for this?

This isn't my main practice space so I'm just looking for something that is super quick/convenient to plug into because I keep a bass on the first floor but not a amp/cabinet. Any ideas how to accomplish this? Or is this just a bad idea to begin with?

2. Bluetooth latency could be as bad as 200ms, which would be like standing 60 yards away from the speakers. I guess with APT-X it'd be down to around 40ms, or a simulated 12 yard distance. You might be better off getting a small, cheap, used combo amp for that room, and see if you can hide it behind a couch or something.

Also, using a home stereo to amplify your bass could be trouble for your speakers, but someone else will know more about that than I do.

3. xanatrobe

xanatrobe

Jul 9, 2013
    Thanks, I think you're right. I'm thinking that it's going to be too much trouble and I should just pony up the money to purchase a small amp as you suggested.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021