1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

help this guy find a fender

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by trumpeter, Apr 18, 2006.

1. trumpeter

trumpeter

Jan 23, 2006
    Amherst, MA
    So, I am in the market for a new bass. That being said, I kind of want to get a Fender, well more than kind of, I really, really want a Fender (or...try to convince me otherwise). And to give this thread a point...What are my options, with say 850USD for getting me a Fender. Doesn't have to be stock, you could be like

"Hey d00d get a MIM and thrown in x,y and z"

Do I make sense?

2. IMO, an MIA jazz with maple fret board does it for me. It may or may not do it for you.

Also, IMO, the stock version doesn't need any upgrades.

3. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    You'll have to narrow it down wether you want a Jazz or Precision. With $850 I'd look for a used MIA bass. My opinion is the best production models fender makes are the American Vintage 62/57 reissues...you can find a recent model used for about what $ you have.

There's no need to add aftermarket junk to MIA's.

4. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    a used MIA Jazz in that transparent orange, or aged cherryburst (something to that effect) w/ white pearloid pickguard.

5. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Along with the used MIA basses, there are some sweet signature basses like the Geddy Lee and the Marcus Miller. You can also get a Classic 60's jazz, which is a MIM bass that comes in around $700ish, I think. I've played one and they were great! (I currently own a Marcus Miller.)

Also, the Highway 1 basses are a little bit lower than your limit, but still darn fine instruments. (I own one of those, too!)

6. Giraffe

Giraffe Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    San Diego, California
    I strongly agree on the American Vintage Reissue basses. In my opinion, the fret jobs on those basses are noticeably superior to the regular American Series (MIA) instruments. Used ones trade for $800-$900, in excellent condition with the tweed case. If you want a Fender, don't settle for anything less. A hot-rodded MIA or MIM usually won't play nearly as well without a major professional fret dressing, which puts you right in the same price range as the American Vintage Reissues.

7. BillisCool

BillisCool

Apr 16, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    You can almost definitely talk the salespeople at GC down to close to $850 for a new MIA jazz bass.

8. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    +1 on the american vintage reissues

i have a MIA 75 RI jazz and i love the thing to death

9. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA

I'm sure you could walk out the door with a MIA Fender Jazz or P-Bass for $850.00. It's best to barter with them near the end of the month when they need sales to hit their target number.

10. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005

+1,

as for convincing you to not get a fender, for 800USD, you might be able to get a stingray of some sort(not sure about US prices)
    or a high end yamaha

11. I am a big fan of the Reggie Hamilton Sig ...

[​IMG]
    • Alder body
    • Maple neck
    • Rosewood fingerboard
    • 20 frets
    • 1 American Series Precision Bass pickup (neck)
    • 1 Custom Noiseless Jazz Bass pickup (bridge)
    • Mini-toggle active/passive switch
    • Active mode: master volume, pickup pan, 3-band EQ with bass, mid, and treble boost/cut
    • Passive mode: master volume, pickup pan
    • Black/white/black 3-ply pickguard on black version
    • 4-ply tortoise shell on sunburst version
    • American Vintage Jazz bridge
    • Open gear tuning machines
    • Hipshot Bass Xtender drop D key on the E string

Right around $800 USD.

12. Shakey

Shakey Vote for Pedro!!

Apr 12, 2005
    Roanoke, Va
    I have a Reggie Hamilton and I absolutely LOVE it.

I have the black with the 4-ply tortoise shell pickguard.

13. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Some love 'em, some don't:

[​IMG]

The new Jaguar

14. JazzBassMayn

JazzBassMayn

Dec 10, 2005
    Oregon, OH
    Does anyone know if it is possible to get a 62 Reissue with block inlays? Could/would Fender do that? Or would I just have to buy a neck and put it on it? That's the bass I want but I am a fan of the block inlays. Not intented to threadjack.

15. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    I doubt that Fender would do that, unless you were having an instrument built by the Custom Shop.

A friend of mine had block inlays put into his American Deluxe J bass. The inlays look great (they are abalone). They guy who did them (a luthier/repair man here in Houston) said that the next time he did a job like that, it would cost a lot more that the $300 that my friend paid.

16. predmachine

predmachine

Feb 23, 2006
    I'd never try to talk you out of getting a fender. I own three plus an old P-bass copy. But rather than collecting opinions, I would go to a Fender Dealer or more than one, and play everything they have from the Squiers to the Vintage MIAs. Then you make the call. Picking a Bass should be based on feel and sound, and what feels and sounds good to someone else may have nothing in common with what works best for you. Oh, and if it looks hot, but doesn't play hot___DONT BUY IT! YOU WONT PLAY IT!