1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help to identify Ampeg PF cab identification

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cotopaxi, Mar 22, 2013.

1. cotopaxi

cotopaxi

Mar 22, 2013
    Hey all,

new to TB forums here :) nice to meet you. Been lurking for some time now, and you seem like a nice and helpful bunch.

So my question is: a fellow on local classifieds has a PF 500 half stack he's selling for a steal price. Says he got it for his birthday and has no idea what the cab is. (Actually he even said had no idea it was even a 500 as opposed to a 350).

Before I make an offer/negotiate, and before I go out all that way to find out for myself, I was wondering if it could be identified by size alone :)

[​IMG]

thanks in advance :)

2. It's either the PF115HE or the PF210HE, the others weren't flip tops.

3. cotopaxi

cotopaxi

Mar 22, 2013
    Thanks very much rodl2005. Seller wants 850 AUD for the lot, supposedly as new... I figure that's a bargain, unless I'm mistaken.

Getting new gear as I've joined a band once again, my old POS peavey combo just isn't doing the job anymore :cool:

... now I have to decide whether I want this pf500 or TC Electronic gear, which I can get cost price. Choices choices...

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
  5. That's ok for Aus.
    Check out www.ozbassforum.com their classifieds have some good 2nd hand deals.

6. cotopaxi

cotopaxi

Mar 22, 2013
    I'd not heard that Jimmy hmm.. concerning. I guess it's a consolation that I never planned to get the BH250, and was leaning more towards the RH 450/750 if anything. Well aware of the dodgy claims re: wattage too. Not sure if my lack of concern is only because of the allure of getting it at half price or less. Bah. Well that and I've heard they're plenty loud.

GASing hard over many things right now, but as cheap as possible is gonna be a winning factor given that I'm a full time student as well.

7. cotopaxi

cotopaxi

Mar 22, 2013
    Thanks mate, yeah, have checked it out and there's some cool stuff. Unfortunately the Genz shuttle I was eyeing out went :scowl:

8. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    Jimmy Jimmy Jimmy, as you already know, this recall is for a very specific serial number range of TC BH250 amps only. Your comment above, while I'm sure was intended to be helpful to the OP, could be wildly over-read to suggest an issue with TC gear in general (attached url not withstanding).

And FWIW, TC is reaching out to effected owners and replacing the bad units just like any other reputable manufacturer should do when there is a run of bad units of their gear (koff koff PF500 koff koff).

To the OP - as others have said - the cab looks like either a 115HE or 210HE underneath the PF500. I run a PF500/115HE and it's a great sounding piece of gear for sure. Just be aware that there was a non-trivial failure rate for the PF500 amps with general "amp death" and thermal shutdown issues being most common (as has been widely discussed on TB), so my advice would be make sure you get to try this one before you buy. Push it a bit when you check it out (set the gain knob high enough that you get some steady red on the peak indicator light), just to make sure you are not getting one of the units that is prone to early shutdown or early failure.

The PF gear is certainly a good deal for the sound it delivers.

good luck.:cool:

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Oh yeah, I forgot. Yeah, TC is an awesome company and they never pull any sorts of BS.

:D

10. There's a GB Shuttle 6.0 & 2 x 10" GB cabs to suit going on Aus ebay now for less $$
    Just sayin

11. cotopaxi

cotopaxi

Mar 22, 2013
    Thanks pfschim, appreciate the advice :) I'll see what I can do about giving it a whirl. Also, noticed you got the Rh450 on your gear list. How do you like it? My reservations are that the TubeTone will sound noticably 'artificial', and the longevity of a mostly digital amp. Unfounded?

Thanks for the heads up !

12. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Not in my opinion. It's not bad, but I'd take an analog pedal instead any time. Plus that whole thing about just naming a wattage figure out of the blue when they're much lesser powered amps never sat well with me. But they at least disclose that now...in very fine print at the bottom of their PDF about their power management system that nobody ever reads.

13. cotopaxi

cotopaxi

Mar 22, 2013
    Yeah that did turn me off. I was gonna over look it because of how cheap I can get them through a friend, but I'm not fond of the deal with their cabs either. Thanks for the advice/input though Jimmy.

Mm.... back to the drawing board :smug:

Update: I don't drive, and music shops within reasonable public transport distance to me don't stock Ampeg so I can't try the PF500 or SVT7 Pro.
    Have tried Orange TB500, fun amp, but I want more versatility.
    Ashdown ABM575 is now in the mix.

14. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    Well, advice from Jimmy regarding TC gear should be taken with a pinch of salt. He and TC haven't been buddies since he didn't get in on the test pilot thing.

15. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

This is easy. OP call the seller and ask him to look at the label on the back of the cab. PF-115he or PF-210he. Mystery solved. You guys suggesting alternative setups have forgotten what the OP question was. Lol

16. No. realise that, but know the market around here too. If no sticker, lift lid & look.......;)

17. pfschim

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    cotopaxi - I originally got the RH450 to travel with. I chose it mostly for its size/weight and features. I currently only use it as a backup amp for my PF500. I like the RH450 for its great set of features, particularly the 3 presets, its very flexible tone shaping section, and the TC Compressor. The footpedal controller is also extremely well thought out and useful. I do not like the TubeTone feature. To my ear it does sound kind of artificial, but then again, I don't use distortion in my sound much at all. I'll agree with JimmyM about analog warmth and breakup being a more pleasing sound for this kind of thing.

Personally, I prefer the sound of the Ampeg (or my #1 favorite Mesa Walkabout) by far. I just have not been able to get a pleasing sound out of the RH, but it does make a very good/convenient backup solution.

Of course, this has much more to do with personal taste than anything else.

good luck.

18. pfschim

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    fixed that for you :cool:

dude, you are all over this TC thing like a bad suit.

where is your "oh well, s**t happens" attitude in this (the current TC) case ?

to the OP - I'll stop with the OT stuff now. If you like the Ampeg flavor, the PF500/115HE is a great choice for the money, as long as you get a unit that keeps working.

good luck with your gear search.

19. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    My words are written in stone, never to be "fixed."

:p :D

20. cotopaxi

cotopaxi

Mar 22, 2013
    So i think I can arrange with the seller to test it for amp death/cut out issues.
    Do I have to crank the master volume as well to test this, or just gain until the peak light is on consistently? How long will I have to play it for before I can be somewhat sure that it won't bork on me after I buy it?