Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help to identify an Ibanez bass??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rollo47, Sep 27, 2003.

1. rollo47

rollo47 Wraggotry in Motion

Nov 12, 2002
    Perth, Australia
    Okay, here's the story. It's my state's school jazz band competition. I'm in the holding room, playing away on my bass. I pluck the e-string ever so lightly, and POP!! I look down and my worst fear is confirmed, the string is a gone-er.

So anyway, the bass that I am forced to use is some extremely bad quality Ibanez. I'll try and describe it as best I can. It was a four-string bass with a P-pickup. The headstock said "Ibanez Custom Made", though I doubt it was. No one would want something like this. It's got a red finish, and white pickguard, so I don't know what type of wood it was. I'm pretty sure it was a maple one-piece neck. It had brass hardware, which was corroding, suggesting that it was fairly old. It seemed to have a regular P-Bass body shape, although I'm not too certain.

Any ideas on what it was?

2. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Get a serial #. That would move things along.

3. Ibanez used to make only copies, (before 1978-79 I think) and they made P-bass and jazz bass copies, maybe it was one of them??

They also made a "roadstar" bass which had a P pickup, but a slightly different body shape.