Help to identify (SS?) rounds or get a similar sounding replacement.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by AlexanderB, Dec 29, 2015.

Tags:
  1. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    My favorite strings for my 2010 Fender AM Std Jazz bass is, and will probably always be, the discontinued Fender 8250 string. I love its crunchy mids, open and rich lows and balanced highs. They lasted vey long, too. I still have one NOS set that I save for some special occasion.

Anyway, when I had to replace my 8250's I put back on the strings that came with the bass when I bought it used. Surprisingly, they were a very decent substitution for the 8250. :thumbsup:
    Ironically, I have no idea what brand and type they are... :banghead:
    The shop I got the bass from did not know what strings they were. Can anyone of you maybe ID them?

Known facts:
    They are most probably SS (and rounds, obviously...).
    The surface is fairly smooth, similar or a tad smoother than the Fender 8250's. Tension and flxibility seems to be average, tighter than DR Sunbeams or Blue Sadowskys, but not as stiff as flats or Elixirs.
    The sound is very close to the old 8250s, with a slightly "thuddier" and less powerful E-string (which is of a regular type, as opposed to the taper core in the 8250).
    They sound positively great for slapping and have a good bite. Much more dynamic and long lasting than the sets of D'addario I have used.

They are not ProSteels, new Fender 8250s, EBS or Roto 66s. I do not think they are Warwick strings, too.

Interestingly, there is no silk on either end of the strings. Ball ends are all the regular brass finish.

Can anyone help me identify this, my second favorite? :help:

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
  2. trothwell

trothwell

Apr 9, 2008
    I might guess DR Lo Riders?

AlexanderB likes this.
  3. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    Interesting!
    The text at DR's homepage describe my impressions almost exactly! I do not know how much they had been used before I bought the basss, but they seem to get dull quicker than the other strings I use, which also reflects my previous experience with DR strings.
    I will definitely order a set of Lo Riders!
    Thanks!

4. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    @trothwell - You were right on the money! It was the DR LoRiders and they work great for me. Thanks!

FourBanger and trothwell like this.
  5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021