Help - to IiPod or not to iPod

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Marlat, Jan 27, 2004.

1. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Okay, im weighing up whether to get an iPod or similiar device and transfer all my cd's to MP3.

In AUs the 40gb version is about $700-800 which is pretty expensive.

I have about 300+ CDs.

What are your thoughts on the iPods and other such devices. Are they worthwhile? Should I get one or wait until hey get cheaper?

It would be handy to bring to work rather than bringing 10-15 CDs each day - same as in the car with iTrip!

Help :)
  2. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I would totally suggest getting an iPod. IMO it's the best player on the market and the only one that comes in 40GB. Also, once you use iTunes, you'll never want to use any other app for music.
  3. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Creative has both 40 and 60 GB versions of the Jukebox "Zen".

This page covers a lot of your alternatives and has decent reviews. The IPod is their fav, but you seem to get more storage per dollar with some other players.
  4. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Just a FYI:

If you're uncertain on how much music an MP3 player can hold, you could do the following math:

(gigabytes on drive) x 1024 x 1024 x 8
    --------------------------------------  = hours of MP3 audio
         (MP3 bitrate in kbps) x 3600
    (I hope I got this right...)

This means a 40 GB drive will hold approximately 480 hours of 192 kbps MP3 audio, and that's considered "CD-quality" (by some, at least). So taking into consideration that you can cram your entire CD collection into one little pocket-sized box helps justify the cost, doesn't it?

EDIT: spelling
  5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  6. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    i wouldn't buy it. not for $400-$500. if that got stolen i'd be pist! ;).
  7. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I generally don't travel in circles where things like that are likely to get stolen! - I was more worried about the cost / benefit ratio!
  8. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    I made the jump and got the 15GB model-$294 (US) and I love it to death. I've got my whole CD collection (plus some more) on it, and I've still got a good 5 GB left.
  9. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    -Raw Memory
    -Easy to use(I can operate mine from memory, one handed, in the dark, while driving and w/o taking my eyes off the road)
    -Surprisingly large amount of features for an MP3(notes/games etc.)

-Gets scratched up easily.
  10. Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    I might drive myself into poverty, I might starve to death, but somehow I'll get an ipod HA HA

Yeah right.:rolleyes:
  11. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I got the Creative 40gb one, my sister got an Ipod, it's smaller, cooler looking, the buttons are easier to hit with gloves on, and it costs more than twice as much. Replacing the battery on the Creative is easier and cheaper. The same mp3's loaded from my PC sound killer on both machines. I used the same headphones and the Alpine in my car as testers.

My bottom line: If I had the money to burn, I'd get the Ipod because of style points, otherwise the Creative is just fine.
  12. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    I'm thinking of getting the Rio Karma.. What does everyone think about it? Its 20GB, $260..