1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

HELP!!!TRACE ELLIOT KEEPS SHUTING DOWN!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jolly, Apr 27, 2009.

1. jolly

jolly

Apr 27, 2009
    hey guys im new to the fourm but have been lurking for awhile. I have a Trace Elliot AH250 with the GP12 SMX pre and im pretty shur that its pre gibson. the problem ive been haveing is that after a undetermend amount of time (usely late in the 3rd set or 4th set of a gig:mad:) the amp shuts down, all the lamps are still lit but no sound but if i turn it off and turn it back on it works again but just for a little while then it does it again. i think it might be overheating and shuting down. i have checked the fan and it seems to be working and nothing is clogged up with dust and **** so im wondering if any one here has any ideas on how to fix this or what might be causeing the problem.

2. The Professor

The Professor

Nov 15, 2008
    New Jersey
    It sounds like your amp is protecting itself...

I've used trace gear for years and never expereienced this problem, but have seen it with other companies.

What is the ohm load of your stage rig? How hard are you pushing the amp during your sets? Are the vents obstructed by anything? Have you tried turning the amp off between sets?

3. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Hi jolly.

Have you posted here for help?: the TRACE ELLIOT thread: Part II

4. jolly

jolly

Apr 27, 2009
  5. jolly

jolly

Apr 27, 2009
    8 ohms and not very, the input is ianywhere between 5-8 and output 2-4 .........lol i do alot of small rooms. none of the vents are obstructed and yea Ive tried to turn it off between sets but it still does it.

6. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Your Trace Elliot may have a high or low fan setting on the back (I remember the older AH500's had this, but I can't remember if this was an option on the AH250.) If it does have the fan switch, set to high if it was not. This may solve the issue.

7. I would check 2 things here:

Firstly, open her up and check that nothing is clogging the fan from the inside of the amp.

Also, look at the leads from the fan to the power supply, if the amp was ever used in studio, and the fan was too loud, sometimes the engineer would install a diode in between the fan and the PS to slow it down, and therefore make it quieter. This mod is great for studio work, but if you start pushing the amp harder at a gig, the thermal protection will inevitably cut in sooner.