Help translating spanish review

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by carl-anton, Jul 18, 2005.

1. Hi,

My band just got reviewed on a spanish site, but unfortunately we don't read spanish. So if any of our spanish speaking TB'ers could help translate the review, I would be very gratefull. I can't even tell if it's a good or bad review :)

2. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Hey man, I can understand it but my translating would be too slow. Some native will come along and give you a good translation but until then I'll say that it's a very good review. The reviewer talks about the vivid images that it conjures in his head, how you have established yourselves as a band with great potential with some past EPs and that the disc is a collection of solid pop songs. He then goes on to say that while the band/disc is practically unknown here (not sure if he means in Spain or if it's a spanish review from denmark) that you're one of the best bands in Denmark. He then goes on to discuss the specifics of what he likes about the album. I believe he says that while the disc doesn't stop being emo (I assume that's what he means by pop-rock emotivo) it covers different grounds. He also says that Yellowish seems to be the northern answer to all these new bands that have formed a new movement at the fringes of fashion and of "the currents." He wants more music from you!

Good interview, congrats! Hopefully someone will give you the full translation.

brad cook
  3. Thanks alot Brad :) Good to hear!
  4. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Here it is:

"Arid passages, feet on the ground, feeling motivated to do what you like the most, a city in the north, dirt in your hands, dust. That's how the first LP from Yellowfish kicks off, or at least that's what passes through my head when at last I can listen to their first record. Yellowish are a band from Denmark, amazing fact since at first sight you could tell that they can be americans, founded toward 1998. After several EPs and a trajectory that has allowed them to show their good potential, the band from Aarhus decides to release their first whole disc, under the guardianship of one of the most promising independent labels from their country: Quartermain Records. That's how "Solid Ground" borns, and, as the title suggests, it's about a bunch of solid and rotund pop-rock songs. In this record, the guitars are the most important, equally blending lighter pop melodies with impressive guitar riffs.

That's why it's logic that this record is considered one of the best in their country, although here it is practically unknown. The balance is stablished between the male and female voices from Lars and Laura, plus the strong guitar riffs and the percussions from the rhytmic composition. "Solid Ground" also lead us to think about the past, more precisely a couple decades ago when Morrisey put his voice on music's service, that's why the results become light and shade, moments of enhanced vitality and optimism and others for melancholy and lyricism, putting together a record that we could perfectly catalog into the shoegazing movement, although it is some emotive and transparent pop-rock detached in 13 songs, being the highlights the title track, "Lisa Could Die For Elvis", a song which from the beggining remind us of Moby, and not just because of the revolver. Other brilliant moments from the album can be found in pieces like "Carelessly", a beautiful love ballad, or "Autopilot" in which the voice sometimes remind us of some of the best Anglo-saxon crooners.

We could tell that Yellowfish is the nordic reply to all those new bands who love guitars, poetry, dark sounds, attitude and rock, which seem to have created their own movement aside from trends and tendencies. Maybe they should think more about releasing an album every five years and concentrate on creating good songs as a present for our ears. They can."

Wow! Haven't heard your band, but if you deserve such a review, you must rule. Congratulations!
  5. Thanks Alvaro. I really appreciate that you took the time to do this :)
    I'll foreward this to the band.

Funny that the reviewer thinks it's me (Lars) who are singing. We heard the Morrisey comparison before, but never the Moby one.
  6. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Well...I got most of it right at least... :)

brad cook