1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help transporting an amp to a gig?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Axtman, Jun 15, 2019.

1. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    A friend of mine is having a gig next week. She is the singer and has hired the backup band. The guitar player is flying in from out of state so he is just bringing his guitar and borrowing an amp from another guy. Well the singer texted me and wondered if I would transport the amp to the gig.

I am a nice guy and usually would say yes but....
    1) It's not my gig.
    2) I'm not the roadie.
    3) It's not my amp. (Plus it is the other guy's favorite vintage tube amp.)
    4) I do not want to be responsible for someones gear. (Just imagine if I get to gig and the amp does not work or I somehow damaged it....or worse yet it gets stolen.)
    5) I do not know how early I am expected to arrive. I am sure they are going to want to do a sound check. What if I get stuck in traffic?

Am I being reasonable or a jerk?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    Mr_Moo and javi_bassist like this.
  2. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    You said she's a friend, for a friend sure!

3. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    It depends how good of a friend she is (or you are?) If I'm available I always volunteer to help my friends with whatever

patrickhowell and matante like this.
  4. Oddly

Oddly Unofficial TalkBass Cartographer! Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    You have 5 excellent reasons to say no.
    Stick with that.

A friend shouldn't have put you in this situation.
    It's her gig, let her sort it out

Mr_Moo, dannydabiker, TH63 and 11 others like this.
  5. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    How far is it?

6. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    Over 20 miles in heavy traffic.

7. sedan_dad

sedan_dad

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    Pass

Master Chief likes this.
  8. The jackwagons around here really surprise me. A friend asked you to do them a favor. If you can, do it. Isn't that part of being a friend?

9. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    If I was playing on the gig or if she had asked to borrow one of my amps it would be a different story.

Last I know the amp's owner has two good working legs, two strong arms and a car. Why doesn't HE bring HIS amp to the show?! I have never asked anyone to bring my equipment to a gig. Wait..... I have a gig tonight. Maybe I can get her to deliver my bass equipment to my gig. I hate schlepping that heavy stuff anyway.

My fear is "No good dead goes unpunished." and I will get blamed for anything that goes wrong. With my luck this week, sh*t will happen.

The other fear is "As long as you are taking the amp, I have a bunch of other things that will fit nicely in the bed of your truck. Oh and can you set it up for me when you get there?"

Mr_Moo, P. Aaron, TH63 and 13 others like this.
  10. Sounds like your mind is already made up...

11. aprod

aprod

Mar 11, 2008
    Just say no. Why didn't she hire you for the bass spot?

12. Hand slap

Hand slap

Feb 14, 2016
    You said it’s not your amp, I wouldn’t do it.

13. bbh

bbh Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2011
    You’d like to but you just hurt your back?

lat and Pulverizor like this.
  14. I would just be straight up and say "I don't feel comfortable with the situation." Honesty is best and they can be irritated with you, but you may be saving yourself some grief if something were to happen to the amp or you couldn't get to the gig, accident, car trouble, etc.

Mr_Moo, Omega Monkey, SaxBass and 8 others like this.
  15. alembicguy

alembicguy I operate the worlds largest heavey equipment Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Minnesota
    Just say no

SaxBass likes this.
  16. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    If you ever wish to date this woman or any of her friends, you should be asking “what time?”

Why you though? No one else has a car?

Omega Monkey and jollygiantchris like this.
  17. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    It would have to be one of my three best friends on Earth to do that. But none of them would ask me to. :D

She's in a band. She should handle all logistics for said band.

Mr_Moo, patrickhowell, TH63 and 6 others like this.
  18. pasmithy

pasmithy

Jul 7, 2011
    SE PA
    To be honest, it doesn't really sound like she's really a "friend". In which case I wouldn't bother...

In my opinion the term "friend" is used very loosely and sometimes people use it to describe acquaintances....

If one of my "friends" needed an amp transported to a gig and it didn't conflict with other obligations, I'd just drop it off for them...

19. Nuff said. You do favors for friends... period. How the favor is done is another matter:

1. I am responsible for transportation of the amp only. No heavy lifting and I am not responsible for condition of said amp when it arrives. Her responsibilities should be insured by condition #2.
    2. I ain't doin it by myself. She goes along for the ride with the amp. I'm not saying anything romantic should be involved but she set this up and she should oversee the operation. That will give her the job of setting it up and she will be your witness should anything happen to the amp.
    3. Want to add other things to the load? See condition #1. I don't lift and as long as it fits throw it in.

This will do the favor for your friend but will also show her, up front, that you will do favors but any business type arrangements are separate from the friendship.

Omega Monkey and gitfiddl like this.