Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HELP! Trouble hooking up new preamp-IOD.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JPJ, Jul 7, 2001.

1. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I just recently purchased a SWR Interstellar Overdrive preamp/effect and am having a lot of trouble getting things set up the way I would like for them to be. Theoretically, I can use this unit as a preamp, and just use the poweramp section of my Redhead, or use it as a distortion effect and just use my combo amp as usual. Unfortunately, the manual isn't that helpful when it comes to setup, and I tried the guys at SWR without much success so far. I'm not that knowledgable about this stuff, so anyone who has an IOD or who has a rig comprised of component parts should be able to help...and I welcome your advice! I would like to know how to set things up either way, preamp or effect, so that I can try things out and see which works best for me. I have balanced and unbalanced jacks and an effects send & receive on the Redhead, and have an effects send, unbalanced and balanced on the IOD for those who are not familiar with this equipment. Thanks for the help an advice.

2. Hey JPJ, what if John Paul Jones wants to join out community, what name is he going to use? :D

3. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Jonsey...now how 'bout an answer to the question. :)

4. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    Hook the output of your IOD to the return side of the effects loop on the Redhead. You have a knob that blends in the effects loop (can't remember what SWR calls it) and you'll need to tun it to full on (wet). Plug your bass into the IOD and you should be set.

Chuck

5. Preamp:
    Connect the unbalanced line out on the IOD to the effects return on the Redhead and turn the effects blend knob to max. Plug your bass into the IOD passive or active input on the front and use the controls on the IOD for everything (volume, bass, treble...).

Effects:
    Connect the effects send on the Redhead to one of the inputs on the IOD (passive or active input on the front panel, or effects return on the back of the IOD), try all and see which works best. Then connect the effects send on the IOD to the effects return on the Redhead. Most of the IOD's knobs won't work, but the Drive and Blend are all that you really need. Now use the effects blend on the Redhead as a volume knob for the IOD. Just plug into the Redhead and use it's knobs for equalising...