Help Troubleshooting Please. Re: Markbass Compressore

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Cowboy in Latvia, Sep 16, 2017.

1. Cowboy in Latvia

Cowboy in Latvia

Mar 1, 2015
    Full disclosure: I love this pedal. I have not yet contacted Thomann or Markbass but will do so if the wisdom of Talkbass can't help here.

I got my Markbass Compressore late last week and I love the sound. However, the compression light does not light up most of the time. I can hear the compression and the limiting kicking in but the little amber bulb does not do anything. The only time it did anything was when I hit it with my hottest output bass on full with the gain, volume, attack, threshold and ratio knobs on full. After it lit up that time, it worked properly. When I moved it to the band's rehearsal space, no light again. Is there a dumb mistake I am making, something simple I am missing or is this just a faulty comp light?

Thanks for any info you can give.

2. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    Just asking but are you sure it is set up properly? Are all the settings correct for what you are trying to do?

Cowboy in Latvia likes this.
  3. Try to really understand the controls. It's a bit tough on the Markbass. For example, if your attack knob is on "full", it means the compression will nearly never "kick in", the lower the attack the the more often the compression will "kick in".
    The attack works like this: the lower the setting is, the earlier - in relation to the power of the signal - the compression will kick in. Try to read some stuff about how compressors work and what esp. attack and release really mean and how they work.

Just set the gain relatively high and the attack relatively low and see what the yellow light will do...

4. 4StringTheorist

4StringTheorist Supporting Member

Not impossible that the electrical connection to the LED is a bit suspect. However, listen to the other great advice here too. I've got one of these pedals too, and love it. :)

Cowboy in Latvia likes this.
  5. Cowboy in Latvia

Cowboy in Latvia

Mar 1, 2015
    Thanks, my original setting was gain at 9:00, threshold at about 8:00, Attack at 8-9:00 and the rest of the knobs around 11:00-1:00. I tried the knobs independently and the only thing that made it light up was the setting I mentioned earlier. After that, it worked at the earlier settings with the light being in some stage of lit up for a good portion of the rest of the time (the bass I have has a pretty hot output). I do have a basic knowledge of compression and a pretty good ear to know when the tone changes due to compression but I'll try what you suggest and update the thread with the results.

Thanks again for the help.

4StringTheorist likes this.
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021