1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

HELP!!!...truss rod nut for '91 MIA Fender Jazz

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by cinci_bo, Oct 15, 2009.

1. cinci_bo

cinci_bo

Sep 30, 2009
    Hi,

I REALLY need some help, or suggestions, or maybe prayers... ;-/

I took my latest acquisition to a local shop for a pro set up and to have them rework the very high action. It's a shop I've used for years, the tech is an awesome tech and an even better friend. My new baby is a '91 Fender Jazz, MIA, one of the "longhorn" basses. It's all original and absolutely gorgeous, btw...or at least it was. I know it's all original because I bought it from a very close friend, who was the original purchaser. (He even had the original receipt in the case.)

When the shop tried to adjust the neck they couldn't. The truss rod wouldn't move. When they checked further they found that the truss rod nut was actually cracked almost all the way through! They worked really hard and managed to get the broken nut out...without damaging the head/neck on the bass at all. The nut is cylindrical, and looks like almost any Fender truss rod nut, but it is NOT a bullet headed nut, but rather "flat cut" on both end. And yes, it is indeed cracked.

Now the problem.....I can't find the truss rod nut, anywhere! Apparently the "longhorns" were MIA, but not everything on them matches the current MIA Jazz's. We've tried the nut from a newer MIA Jazz, the bullet nut. It has the correct threads inside, but the outside diameter is too big to fit the turss rod hole. In fact it won't even enter the adjusting hole in the headstock. Then we tried the truss rod nut off of a MIM Jazz, and it has a much smaller outside diamter but it has the wrong thread on the inside. I ran to a local Guitar Center and bought one of each of the three truss rod nuts they carry for Fender Jazz, and none match the nut that came out of the "longhorn". We've called just about every local source or website we can think of, to no avail.

So out of desperation I'm writing this note to see if there is anyone in this community who might have any suggestions. Does anyone out there have one of these basses? As near as I can tell from researching, the "longhorn" (or "boner") Jazz basses were made from late 1989 til the middle of 1993. Who knows, as large as this community is, maybe someone out there might even have one in their parts drawer they would be willing to sell me?

I am desperate, folks, can anyone help??

Laura Camacho likes this.
  2. rubato

rubato

Feb 16, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    Fender Customer Service: (480) 596-7195

3. cinci_bo

cinci_bo

Sep 30, 2009
    Thanks, Rubato, that's a great suggestion.

Unfortunately, we tried that today. My friend isn't an authorized Fender warranty shop so they wouldn't even talk to him. When I went to Guitar Center the second time (after trying all three truss rod nuts they had) I asked the tech there to call. When she got Fender on the phone she let me talk with the service/technical rep. I explained everything in great detail. The guy gave me the Fender part number for the standard MIA "bullet" nut. I told him again that we had tried that one, and that it's outside diameter wouldn't allow the nut to even enter the adjusting hole in the headstock/neck junction. I even made a point of giving him the bass's serial number again.

He listened carefully, and then told me he didn't know what to tell me, that he was probably out of ideas. That was it, all of about 3 minutes of his time. ;(

Personally, I am struggling with calling that particuarly high quality customer service....but that's just me.

;-/

4. Rocky McD

Rocky McD

Jun 28, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Builder,mcdcustomguitars
    Why don't you take the bullet nut to a machine shop and have the outer surface machined down to the correct size? I realize it will protrude out from the cavity but it will suffice until you can find the correct nut.

5. username1

username1

Dec 28, 2005
    alberta canada
  6. I found one that looks noce and sounds good, but has the rod stripped . It needs another neck , which I can't find anywhere . It's different from the other jazz basses ...
    How did you solve yours?