1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help! trying to buy an new amp rig!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Aritatux, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Aritatux

Aritatux

Jan 18, 2012
    Hey,
    I'm in the process of purchasing a new amp rig. I'm in a metal band with two guitarists that have very large set ups, so you can imagine how hard it is for me to even be heard during rehearsals or in general. I had two ideas one being

Ampeg SVT-410HLF Classic Series Bass Cabinet with a Markbass Little Mark III Bass Amp Head

or a.....

Markbass CMD 102P 300/500W 2x10 Tilt-Back Bass Combo Amp with a Markbass Traveler 151P Rear-Ported Compact 1x15 Bass Speaker Cabinet

my budget is really tight (1500) so if you anyone could give some advice that be awesome.

2. You could do alot with $1500 if you went used. You could probably score an SVT and an 810 for about that much.

3. cchorney

cchorney

Oct 21, 2010
    Meriden, CT
    The first option will give you a little bit more flexibility in that you have the ability to swap the amp for another for swap the cab for another down the road if necessary. And if you are dealing with multiple gui****s you probably will need at least one 410 and earplugs. The LMIII has tons of power and good tone.

4. Sinomis666

Sinomis666

Apr 16, 2011
    The 410hlf are great I use mine with svt cl but it will sound great & loud with most amps

5. $1,500 can get you a stellar bass rig!! That's not a small budget (for most people).

If you buy used (here on TB) you can get some great prices and it's a very rare occurence that someone will sell you a lemon.

Make a decision on what you like for your bass tone (tube, solid state, or hybrid) grindy, clean, in-between. Any bassists that you dig their tone? That can also give direction on recommendations as you'll get several hundred opinions here.

Of course you could buy my Bergantino NV610. the best bass cabinet on the market. ;)

6. S Lewis

S Lewis

May 23, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
  7. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    Skinny string players with "very large" set ups can be a problem. Even if they both 'only' use a 100 watts and a 412, they can scream.

As has already been said, buying used will be paramount. Get a couple of 410's and at least 500 watts. 1000 watts may be better. Also. remember your mid's. Huge low end will not help much at cutting through the screaming skinny string players.

For 1500 bucks, I believer I could come up with a set up that will help to subdue the guitarists.