help tuned in fifth bass setup

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by bigmatteo, Oct 17, 2021.

1. bigmatteo

bigmatteo

Aug 28, 2007
    milano italy
    Hi to all,
    i need your help, because for my bass, i want to try a pirastro obligato in fifth CGDA, but i have no idea about string height, because this is my first time that i use theese strings.

On Stobel book "Useful measurement for violin maker " i find for metal string (in 4th): 7mm G, 9 mm D, 11mm A, 10mm E, theese string clearance, in your opinion is suitable also for theese syntetic strings, he said clearance for gut 10 mm for G and 16 mm for E, is not to high ?

I wuold like to use the measure 7-9-11-10 A to C measured from fingerboard to lower edge of the string, i use this measure on my old plywood bass, used for pizz or arco in all position, with clearance string to string is 25mm at bridge .

What is your setup for your in fifth bass!

Matteo from Milan

2. I never played fifths, but independent on the tuning I would give the E more room than the A. So switch the heights for A and E.
    I would use a difference from string to neighbor string of 1.5 mm and end a bit higher on the E. Maybe 6.5, 8, 9.5, 11 or 7, 8.5, 10, 11.5.
    The main difference to your version is, that the bowing angle on the A is a bit smaller but on the D is a bit larger.

3. bigmatteo

bigmatteo

Aug 28, 2007
    milano italy
    Ok DoubleMIDI,
    i recived my bass last friday, with setup that i sayd, is good for me,
    i am happy because i haven't problem with bow.

Thanks Matteo

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 19, 2022