Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HELP!!! Tuner prob....

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Tecx, Sep 28, 2002.

1. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    The bushing (plasic spacer) on one of my machine heads is totaly gone... It is a sealed type, and even if I take the screw out of then end I can't get the key off to replace it.... HELP PLEASE...

Alex

2. Is this little spacer between the head bit and the main body of the tuner? Mine broke away too. I just left it. It still keeps in tune. ;)

Maybe a photo of it? Maybe i am thinking of something else...

:D:D

Merls

3. I've done a fix for this and it works really well.

Try it out after you've finished laughing... :D

Take a length of white, waxed dental floss and begin tying it over and over into the slot left by the plastic bushing. Just loop and tie, loop and tie, until it fills the slot completely. Then make a final tie-off, snip the ends with scissors close to the tuners and singe them back further with a lighter. The repair looks the same and has plenty of mass to it. It won't need anything else for a long time.

BTW, this also works for tuners that have too much play in the shaft and tend to vibrate while playing. Do the same process and you'll eliminate all of the unwanted rattle.

4. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    yet again my saviour....

thanks man...

5. But what if you dont have dental floss as is the case in my house?

Merls

6. Brush harder!!

7. Oh shut up you! you can talk Mister Skull avatar. lol!

Merls