Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help! Tuning thing...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by mattsk42, Aug 20, 2005.

1. mattsk42

mattsk42 $100 off new Directv subsp.PM me BEFORE signing up Supporting Member

Hey, I have a Peavey Grind 4 . I tune my low E string, but it wavers around and never really stays at one pitch very well. Well enough to play and all, but not nearly as perfect as the other strings stay. It stays about the same Tune-wise (always *around* E), but it never is DEAD on without going flat or sharp a little. I don't touch the string, and all others are muted. What can I do to fix this?

I searched a little and didn't find anything, but I may have just searched the wrong keywords.

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Most likely it's the tuner... some of them don't like the low notes all that well. If you like how you're other strings are tuning, just use harmonics or the 4th and tune by that. I haven't used a tuner in years, and by using harmonics I'm usually within a cent or two of perfect - learn to rely on your ear more than an electornic piece of equipment...

-Ray

3. mattsk42

mattsk42 $100 off new Directv subsp.PM me BEFORE signing up Supporting Member

:eek: OK I would have never dreamed that a TUNER for a BASS GUITAR could not TUNE a BASS GUITAR properly. I guess I was wrong.

I do normally just tune the others. It still sounds a little "wave-y". Not much, maybe it's just floppy? How would I be able to truly tell? Thanks!

4. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    I find the same thing when I tune using the harmonic at the 12th fret. try using the 5th fret or 7th fret B.