Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help, tunning head trouble!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by cliffburtonfan, Jul 7, 2004.

1. hey, i have a problem, the tuning head for my D string seems to be slipping at a certain tension and so the string can no longer be tuned, how can i fix this? Is there any way to tighten it without taking the tuning head apart? :meh:

2. Is this a sealed tuner? If it is, it's likely the brass spur gear has given up the ghost - lost a tooth right where it meets the worm gear. You might be able to remove the string, turn the tuner just a couple of turns and re-install the string so that when it comes up to tune, the gears meet in a different place.

3. yeh its a sealed tuner, ive tried that but it doesnt seem to work. The little shaft which the string is wrapped around (you know the one with the hole and little slot in the end) can be easily pulled out and rotated with little force. This doesnt happen with any of the other tunning heads :help: I think im due a trip to the repair man :/