Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help. Types of Strings??

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by imLOST, Feb 2, 2003.

1. imLOST

imLOST

Jan 12, 2003
    Iowa.
    I heard about bass strings that were covered with a latex/plastic, black cover. Where can I get these?

2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Do a search, but if you just want some stupid black strings because they are black.... i think ibanez made some strings for the BTB series that had a uh,,,,different metal to them? it was sorta black. Uh, why do you want black strings? the strings with "Plastic" covering them are most probably elixers, who claim putting a very then "plastic" over the string increases life, ...but most have found this to make your stings sound more "Dead" and not as bright new. Once again, black strings just for image? or did you hear these strings and really like them?

EDIT:Forget to add that i have never seen black Elixers.

3. imLOST

imLOST

Jan 12, 2003
    Iowa.
    No not for image. Someone described them to me. I thought I would look at them.

4. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    The black strings I'm aware of are nylon tapewound. They are made by Rotosound, LaBella, Fender, Status, GHS, and maybe others. They are sometimes used by people to simulate an upright bass, though the LaBellas, at least, are capable of a pretty bright sound as well. I've only used the Rotos and LaBellas, and I would characterize them both as having a strong attack, with the Rotos being somewhat dark and thuddy (good if you want a sort of URB-ish sound), and the LaBellas as being somewhat brighter and more versatile. If you're in the USA (I forgot to look), you can get the LaBellas pretty cheap from Carvin.

Hope this helps.