1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help! Unusual rattling on my T-40!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kjpollo, Mar 20, 2009.

1. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    Guys,

I pulled out all of my basses this evening and I was playing them all acoustically and I noticed a strange rattle coming from my T-40.

It only happens when I play an open A-it sounds like the string is vibrating on something. When I push down slightly on the string BEHIND the nut, the buzzing stops.
    Now before you all say "Raise the action" the action is already somewhat high because that's what I prefer.

I was also thinking maybe there's a high fret but when I look closely at the frets, the frets seem to be more worn under the A than anywhere else.

I'd hate to start modding this thing but I'm wondering if I should get another string tree since that little bit of extra downward tension really seems to make a difference. Or maybe its an issue with the nut?

I'm open to suggestions!

2. your string is likely bouncing out of the nut. how far down the post is the string wound?

it might need to be taken loose and moved farther down. i have this problem all the time because i normally zone out when i change my strings.

3. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    Nope, thats not it either-that string is wound around the very bottom of the post.
    Funny thing-the E is wound higher and there's no rattle on that string at all!

4. I had that problem until I adjusted the neck tilt on my Peavey Foundation a bit. Went right away.

5. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    Thanks Eagle Moon,
    I'll give that a shot.

6. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Sounds like the hex screw in the microtilt may have been a little loose.

7. Most likely the break angle from nut to tuner, you practically proved it yourself by pressing down on the string lead. The 3rd string is notorious for this, and so are Peavey headstocks. Maybe check it again? Check the truss rod too.

8. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    If its the break angle of the string, I'm screwed because the A is wound down to the bottom of the post.
    And the part of the string coming off the nut is wound at the bottom of the windings. The few windings on the post go bottom to top.

I have to see if I have an allen wrench to fit the tilt adjustment. I also need to order the trussrod wrench from Stewmac. I bought mine used and the original was nowhere to be found.
    Its just weird that a VERY miniscule amount of pressure makes the rattle go away.

Thanks for the suggestions, people!

9. i always felt the same way.. and i fixed it with tape at one point, but then restrung it and was fine. my OLP has no tilt back and no string retainers, and even wound low on the post, they are almost parallel to the nut, so it doesnt take much.