1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help! Upright with battle scars

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Patbass, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Hey, I just bought a used Double Bass. Its about 50 years old and pretty beat up. I got it for cheap ($800) but other than that dont know how to tell what kind it is or anything else. Anyways its been all good since I bought it 2 weeks ago. Untill Today it started to make a buzz. There is a hole in the bottom about the size of my thumbnail and another wound the same size where the wood is cracked. Like a hole but the wood is still there, its hard to explain but I hope you kindof understand. When I play C in any octave other that the low C it makes a whole body buzzung sound. Not a string buzz but a vibrating whhaaaaawwww sound. I know this post seem silly because I know you will all say the obvious "Take it to a Luthier" which I will do but I guess im just sad and frustrated and was wondering if anyone had any advice as to pinpoint the problem or temporarily fix it. If its could be from humidity or just me poking the wound too much. When I bought it the guy said that a Luthier said it was not worth fixing but I guess it does now. I also just need moral support. Tell me if this has ever happend to you, what you did etc. Just want to hear from you guys and tell me what you think.

2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Some pictures would be quite helpful. Also, welcome to TB!

3. Without pics, It's like trying to tell a mechanic what's wrong with your car by imitating the sound it makes...

4. Hey guys, Yeah I know, haha the sound thing doesn't work Whhhaaawww lol. Sorry I dont have a camera at my disposal at the moment but Im going to get my teacher to check it out tomorrow and probably take it to a luthier. I just found out and kindof freaked out but I have calmed down a bit now. Thanks for pointing that out. I gave me a good laugh.

5. Phil Rowan

Phil Rowan Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    Click and Clack might be the one exception because they're pretty good at doing just that.