HELP!! Urgent... Nightbass died, gig Saturday.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Diggler, Aug 17, 2005.

1. Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    I have a Nightbass SX... I like it, it does everything I need it to do. The battery died on me a while back, and I replaced it about 5 months ago.

I went to play it tonight, and it had nothing but bars across the top of the LED. Rebooting it did nothing. I took the battery out and it acted the same... just bars. I am HOPING it is the battery, and my guitar player is stopping to pick me up a new battery on his way here.

Unfortunately I have a gig Saturday, and I rely on this thing for several songs. Can't just use raw bass anymore. IF this thing doesn't get fixed with a battery, can someone tell me what type of processor I can get to replace this? I need a rackmount that will talk to my X15 Ultrafoot. And I'm on a VERY limited budget, so the cheaper the better. I don't have the money to make a political statement so I'll even consider Behringer.

So, can someone give me an idea on what I would need to buy to be somewhat ready for Saturday? This is something I'd like to research for myself but considering the time I'll need to get used to a new processor and set up presets, and working a full-time job, I don't have much of a choice except to take the word of other people who have experience with the different processors.

Thanks a million in advance...
  2. NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    Did you check the Battery with a Volt Meter? sometimes "New"
    does not mean it has enough volts.
  3. Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    I haven't had time yet... this JUST happened. I'll go try to figure out how to do that with my voltmeter now.

If that doesn't work, another thing I would like to add for the above list of criteria for a new processor would be the ability to use the computer via MIDI to create presets...
  4. Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA

A new battery didn't do anything. :(

The red LEDs (that display the preset numbers) don't even work.

I'm screwed.

Does the Behringer allow more than one effect at a time?
  5. What are you wanting to spend and what effects/features do you need?
  6. Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    I would like to spend no more than a few hundred dollars if possible.

Actually, $50 is out of my budget now but I guess I gotta do what I gotta do.

I guess I'd consider a foot pedal if I had to. I'm used to the X15 with the 2 expression pedals, one for volume and the other for dives/wah/etc.

Effects: Compression, EQ, Flange, Pitch Bend, Reverb, Noise Gate, etc. I was spoiled because the Nightbass was loaded.
  7. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    How about another nightbass off ebay or somewhere?
  8. Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    That would be great if I could get it by Saturday but I need it for a gig. I'm going to have to get something from Guitar Center or somewhere.
  9. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I'm thinking with a gig this Saturday, eBay is out of the question simply for time.

First, try hitting some of the used/pawn shops around your area. You never know what you might find, and even if you find a Nightbass that too much money, perhaps they'd "loan" it to you? (for the right price, of course :meh: )

I'm not even sure there's a bass-focused rackmount pre like the NB on the market anymore: I certainly haven't heard of any since that and the ADA MB-1 stopped production. Blame grunge and the resurgence of footpedals for that one. ;) (Okay, there's the Rocktron Blue Thunder, but the BP review about that was iffy at best)

All I can say if that if it's simply for this gig, perhaps look at the lower-end multi-effects pedals on the market (and maybe treating it extra gently to be *coughreturnedcough*) - the Zooms/DigiTechs/ect are pretty powerful for what they are, and do you need rackmount clarity for one live gig?

If you're looking to replace the Nightbass, I'd... still grab a lower-end pedal and do your research. Although the higher-end Boss ME-50B/GT-6B/various versions of PODs are nice, if so much of your sound is based around effects, I'm thinking time to try them out is better than a "quick-pickup"
  10. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
  11. Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    I'm semi-open with the idea of an all-in-one foot pedal if that's the way things are going.

Are there any good ones around $300 or so?
  12. Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    Thanks for the headsup... if I have to pay $369 (plus overnight shipping) for an effect rack from the '90's, I might as well bite the bullet and get something new. Especially since ART won't work on the Nightbass any more.
  13. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Where do you live Diggler? If your here (or near) in Tucson I could hook ya up for a gig.

I know how it is about the Nightbass, I won't hit the stage without mine!
  14. Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    PA. :(
  15. Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    We just got done with practice... and I had this thing out of the rack and plugged in across the room. Sometime during practice, the thing came back to life.

What is messed up, is that I had taken the battery out a couple times, and my presets are still there! ***? When the battery died before, I completely lost everything.

I don't trust the thing now, but I may try to use it Sat. since I can switch to 'raw' bass amp within a few minutes if it dies during a set. We'll get the 'effects' songs out of the way early. I'd rather replace it on my terms rather than rush out and get one now.

Do you think there might be some electrical current issues in my house that could be causing this type of behavior? I'm going to call ART tomorrow and describe the symptoms and see what they have to say about it.

Finally, I noticed throughout the forum that everyone seems to prefer pedalboards with a bunch of pedals on them. That won't work for me because I sing lead on at least half of the songs and am pretty integral with talking to the crowd and getting the band together for the next song. I need to have a pedal that I can say, "Running Down A Dream, that's preset #153." And go to it, and have all the chorus, reverb, gates, etc. already set for that song as well as having the gain set equally across all my presets. I can't be messing around punching 4 or 5 pedals for each song to get the right sound. I can do the one-touch setting with the Nightbass and the controller pedal... are there all-in-one pedals that can do what I want?
  16. Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    Since nobody answered the question ..

The Behringer Bass V-amp Pro will only do 1 effect, plus compressor at a time. It does have a couple of combo effects in it like Chorus+Delay, but for the most part it's one effect and the compressor (comp is seperate from the other effects)

You can also have wah on an expression pedal as long as one of the auto Wah effects is not selected.

But it would probably work OK with the X15 controller since it works well with te FCB1010 which also has two expression pedals.

17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Behringer? You use Behringer?
  18. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    That sounds to me like you have a simple fix like a bad solder point, or even simpler, a loose plug (i.e. the multi wire bracket or din plug) like the kind that link the circuit boards. The fact that it didn't lose any of your presets leads me to believe that the basic unit is OK. It might even be just a loose intermittent conection to the display section of the unit. Did the unit seem to still process sound, even though the display was screwed?

Try making sure all of the connection brackets are tight and that there are no obvious, visible bad solder points. Another possible easy fix is to get some electrical contact cleaner. It sprays on and is available in most electrical supply stores. Just spray it in every place you can, wait about 20 minutes for it to dry thoroughly, and fire it back up (all these things should be tried with the power off and the unit unplugged from the wall).

I constantly buy and sell audio/stereo gear and musical gear, that supposedly doesn't work, for stupid cheap, and 4 out of 5 times the fix is something very simple like the things I describe above.

Good Luck
  19. Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    The unit did NOT work at all when it was acting up; it wasn't just the display.