1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help us to arrange our practice room

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by pmaraziti, Mar 11, 2008.

1. pmaraziti

pmaraziti Gold Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2006
    Singapore
    Hi TB,

Maybe this was never done before, but I thought of asking you to help arrange our pratice room. We rent it all for ourselves , it's about 18 squared meters (3 by 6).. this is about 194 ft2 (10 by 20 ft).

We have:

* an electric drum with acoustic kick, tons of metals (too many if you ask me :) ... the drummer has 2 quite big monitors on each of his side (he puts the mixer, the poweramps and 2 large speakers, so we let him play with all the toys he wants)

* a poor bassist, :bag: with a Epi 410 and on top his amp

* a crazy but great guitarist with a very nice Mesa all tube amp on top of a massive 412 Mesa Roadking cab

* a creative keyboard with a digital piano and a kurzweil module

* 2 singers/vocalist (funny to see when they argue about which song should be sung by whom... :) ). They walk around the room but usually stay between the two speakers.

* a quite big mixer (don't even recall number of channels.. way more than what we need... courtesy of the drummer) sitting on a dedicated desk.

* 2 tall Peavey speakers (voices, keyboard, drums and occasional acoustic guitar of the singer go thru it) fed by 2 poweramps (sitting below the mixer desk)

Attached a kind of map of current situation.
    The walls are kind of red carpet (?) and are flat... a lot of chances of bad acoustic... :)

It's of course not essential to sound grat in such a room, but if there's any hint about how to best locate speakers etc, they're of course welcome !

Thank you so much !
    Paolo

Attached Files:

2. MistaMarko

MistaMarko

Feb 3, 2006
    USA
    Eh..I don't really think all that is necessary..just move it all in and practice. You want to arrange in that detailed of a way at a gig :p. But just try to distrubute the amps evenly..don't put 3 guitar amps next to each other..space them apart. Make sure the drummer can hear the bassist. Make sure the vocals are a good mix. A B C 1 2 3...

3. Ron Plichta

Ron Plichta Supporting Member

May 19, 2007
    Fairfax, VA
    #1 - You really don't need those big amplifiers in such a small space. Go smaller if you can or better yet, go DI.

#2 - Do you have monitors? If so, store the big PA away and use the monitors for your vocals and any DI instruments. You'll get used to hearing how sound onstage with them. And better yet, you'll keep your volume down.

#3 - Mute the drums/cymbals slightly unless your drummer has lighter sticks or isn't a heavy hitter.

#4 - Set up as closely as possible as you would onstage. If the bass is normally to the snare side of the drums, put it there. That gets the drummer and bassist used to working like they would onstage. If not, setting up in a circle is okay. Just be careful that you don't get too used to depending on each other's visual cues.

4. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    Get the guitar player a 20-25 watt amp; everyone else play down to his volume. In a space that small, you MUST control the volume, otherwise you risk hearing damage. I've was at a rehearsal studio once where the band in the next room was so loud we had to give up and demand a refund; don't be that band. It's silly to play at concert levels in a small room.

5. pmaraziti

Feb 12, 2006
    Singapore

Thank you ! great suggestion, I'll give it a try. Volumes is the single biggest problem we do have... I'm having a hard time convincing the drummer and the guitarist that we need to be quieter... only singers back up my proposal... meantime, what is amazing is the I'm the only one using earplugs.... the rest know I do and I suggest to do the same but nobody seems to care ! :rollno:

6. pmaraziti

Feb 12, 2006
    Singapore
    I wish I could... not sure why everybody else don't notice the problem.... I'd be fine with my LMII volume just engaged, but instead I need to almost put it to 1/4 to compensate which is very loud I think. I use earplugs but I'm the only one....

Thanks God we are not the loudest in the place... yes... we're not the loudest... unbelevable that some others would play so loud !

7. Moreau

Moreau

Jan 3, 2006
    Canada
    We are a 4 piece including the singer, and we use a marshall 100 watt head with a 4X12 for guitar, and i use an NV610 with an LMII, and it sounded ok, nothing too great. This is in a 500Sq foot room. Last week we acoustically treated the room, and its quite good, and can play at loud levels without it sounding poor. But to be honest, we didnt notice the change until we treated it, and realized how bad it used to sound. So maybe getting them to try a few jams using your proposed solution, rather than just shooting you down. Musics so much more wicked when it sounds right.

8. pmaraziti

Feb 12, 2006
    Singapore
    Thanks Moreau!

What treatment did you go for ?
    I doubt we'll be able to do much about it since the place is rented and nobody will want to spend much about it.

Being our room very regular in shape, is there any direction the speakers should be placed according to avoid some unpleasant acoustic effect?

Thank you !

P.

9. need4mospd

need4mospd

Dec 22, 2005
    Houston
    I'd start arranging the room by moving the bass player's position to another practice room. Life's too short to play with guitarists that thinks a halfstack is a practice amp.

10. JKT

JKT

Apr 30, 2007
    Buffalo NY
    Endorsing Artist: Barker Basses
    If you can't convince the other players to turn down, make sure you at least protect your own hearing with earplugs or headphones. Sometimes, when other more stubborn players see someone such as yourself resort to earplugs or headphones, it makes then stop and think.

If you can get a headphone mix off the PA use it and DI you bass rig into the PA, not for volume but so it will appear in your headphone mix.

JKT

11. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    I wish I had put it this succinctly.