Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HELP Vintage Ampeg

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Acepiloto, Jun 23, 2003.


  1. Acepiloto

    Acepiloto

    Aug 25, 2000
    I own a 1966 Ampeg B-18N. I haven't played in about a month, and it had been sitting in my garage. I just plugged it in, and when I touched the power switch (I didn't turn it on yet) it shocked me.:eek: Not a throw you kind of shock, but an "akkk" and pull your hand away kind of shock. It was plugged into a power strip, so I unplugged the strip and plugged the amp, straight into the wall, same results.

    I really have no idea whats wrong, so any help would be appreciated.

    Russell
     
  2. The power cord isn't grounded. There should be a polarity switch on your amp. Flip it with the amp unplugged and plug the amp back up. If it doesn't shock you anymore, you've found your culprit. It it still shocks you, you need to have a tech install a grounded AC cord.
     
  3. Acepiloto

    Acepiloto

    Aug 25, 2000
    Thank you, I didn't think of that. Actually on mine it's a ground switch, I'm guessing that it basically does the same thing. I used to mess with that switch, but it really didn't do anything.

    Thanks again,

    Russell
     
  4. Technically, it's a called "ground polarity switch" and it's exactly the same thing.