1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help, Vintage Bass!!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Choyk, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Choyk

Choyk

Jan 10, 2012
    Hi, i just bought a vintage P-Bass, but i'm having troubles whit the dating, so far i know that could be a 73 or 74, but i'm not sure about the diferences between those years models.

The serial number of the bass is 410175 the neck "code" is this 01033443 the pots are dated 73, and the pickups has this numbers "A7 32 77" and the other one "1 7 38 73".

Thanks!!

2. Thumpin_P

Thumpin_P

Nov 26, 2006
    Limestone, TN
    Check with johnk 10. He is a man who knows his Fenders. Plus, you can do a search "how to date a Fender guitar". That is how I started. There is quite a lot out there, if you know how to search. I hope that didn't come off sounding condescending, I don't know your level of search experience. Good Luck!

3. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    According to the dating schemes posted here: Vintage Guitars Info

Neck code 01033443:

Precison Bass (01) with a fretted maple board or rosewood board with a skunkstripe (03), neck stamped in the 34th week (34) of 1974 (4) on the Wednesday (3) of that week.

Neckplate number is from '73. maybe the plate was a leftover, or maybe it's a parts bass or a replaced neck.

4. __HM__

__HM__

Aug 28, 2008
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Im no vintage expert, but the guys over at Fender have somewhat of a history of mixing parts together.. Remember, back then dates weren't quite as important.