Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help! Vintage Fender P questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DarknessFaded, Sep 23, 2000.

1. DarknessFaded

DarknessFaded

Sep 23, 2000
    The other day while browsing a local pawn shop (I live in a really small town), I came across a vintage Fender P bass. I couldnt get the serial number (it was behind the counter), but I could tell it was defintely old, how old is a question though. It had a plain wood finish and maple neck with the block inlays, the big "Precision" logo on the headstock, and a chrome bridge pick up cover. The girl behind the counter said the price tag was 799, though the manager would probably negotiate with me since it had been sittng there for a while. Anyone have any idea around what time frame this bass could have made? Are we talking 60s? Please e-mail if you have any idea.Thanks-DarknessAroundUs@aol.com

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Block inlays usually mean 70s, at least with Jazz basses...you'll probably never find a 60s Fender at such a low price. Prices sky-rocketed because of the vintage madness that's been going on for the last years (and I can't understand it AT ALL!). And you may even get a better sound with a newer bass or a good Fender Copy (Mike Lull, Sadowsky, et al).
    But if it sounds good and if it's in good condition it seems to be a good price.

3. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    >the block inlays, the big "Precision" logo on the headstock,

I have never seen a genuine Fender Precision neck with block inlays.

4. Turock is right!

If it has Precision on the headstock and block inlays on the fretboard - it ain't real. On the other hand if it had Jazz on the headstock and a Precision body, that could possibly be a common frankenbass combination. Lots of guys swapped out the P necks for J's. The neck would have been from the late 60's through the 70's.

Give the owner the link to this thread and see how far down the price can get.

5. DarknessFaded

DarknessFaded

Sep 23, 2000
    I'll try to find time to go tomorrow and take another look at the bass. I was speaking from memory (I might have been wrong), as I didnt want to make a big deal out of finding the bass (i.e. jumping up and down and screaming like a little girl). But I cant get it off of my mind, I went to a local music shop and tried a new Fender P and just fell in love with the sound (my Yamaha is crying in the corner). Thanks for the replies so far, and I'll keep ya'll posted.